A few months ago, a reader sent me the PAC Perfect Acne System, which I sent over to one of my really good friends to use. Formulated with salicyclic acid and a special patented formula called Radiance Guard-64 (oligopeptide-10), the system has been shown in clinical tests to improve overall improvement in skin appearance in 60% of subjects using the P.A.C. Perfect™ system after eight weeks of treatment. But how effective does the scientific literature say the products’ ingredients are? And how did my friend like the formulation after several weeks of use? Read on to find out…
A high concentration of salicyclic acid
Salicyclic acid is a beta-hydroxy acid that is used to cleanse and exfoliate the skin. According to DermNetNZ, salicylic acid works by softening keratin, a protein that forms part of the skin structure. This helps to loosen dry scaly skin, increasing cell turnover and effectively renewing the skin. It is often used in acne treatments like the PAC Perfect Acne System to cleanse and to prevent clogging of the pores. According to Dr. Heather Brannon, M.D., a family-practice physician with a specialty in Dermatology, salicyclic acid is also reported to improve signs of aging including wrinkling, roughness, and mottled pigmentation of photodamaged skin with at least 6 months of daily application.
What makes salicyclic acid so pertinent in the PAC Perfect Acne System is that it is used in conjunction with oligopeptide-10, which has been shown in one study (mentioned here) to improve skin appearance. According to DermNetNZ, when salicylic acid with other effective ingredients (like oligopeptide-10), it often allows the other ingredients to better penetrate the skin and hence be more effective.
Gentle for sensitive skin and mild-to-moderate acne
The PAC Perfect Acne System is milder than other acne systems, without the retinol of the Murad Acne System or benzoyl peroxide of Pro-Activ Solution. Although both benzoyl peroxide and retinol are certainly effective against acne, the PAC Perfect Acne System provides an alternative for patients with both acne and sensitive skin. According to the company website, the moisturizer is oil-free and the system is compatible for use with other acne medications, though the company advises talking to your dermatologist to be sure.
In general, if you have sensitive skin and mild-to-moderate acne, using the PAC Perfect Acne System in conjunction with an on-the-spot over-the-counter acne treatment, like 10% benzoyl peroxide or Zeno, might be a great idea for you.
Will brighten the skin
The PAC Perfect Acne System contains Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Quillaja Saponaria Bark Extract, and a small amount of glycolic acid to brighten the skin.
Will my acne get worse before it gets better with the PAC Perfect Acne System?
According to the company website:
- “an early “flair” associated with skin’s initial reaction to a new treatment is not uncommon. The P.A.C. Perfect™ System is formulated to help to minimize the occurrence of such a flair, but you should not be alarmed if your skin gets a bit worse before it starts to get better. The flair period should be over within the first two weeks of treatment.”
What my friend says after a month of use
After a month of using the PAC Perfect Acne System, my friend had the following comments:
- “The products feel smooth and silky on my skin. After, it feels like my face is clean. Not dry, but clean…If I had to put a percentage to it, I would say my acne has improved 50% since using the PAC Perfect Acne System. Most of the acne on my chin has cleared, and that’s where I used to break out the most. I still have tiny blemishes, but nothing major like I did.”
In my opinion…
I think that the PAC Perfect Acne System makes a great acne system for anyone with sensitive skin and mild-to-moderate acne who are tired of their skin getting dry or irritated after harsh acne treatments. Used in conjunction with an on-the-spot acne treatment, like 10% benzoyl peroxide or Zeno, this system has been doing great things! Overall rating: 9/10 (-1 for no sunscreen)
Ingredients in P.A.C. Perfect™ Toning Cleanser
Salicylic Acid, Water, Lauramidopropyl Betaine, Sodium PCA, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, PEG-8 Dimethicone, Polysorbate 20, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Quillaja Saponaria Bark Extract, Saponaria Officinalis Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Benzyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Glycolic Acid, Citric Acid, Butylene Glycol, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Trisodium EDTA, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Fragrance.
Ingredients in P.A.C. Perfect™ Treatment Essence
Salicylic Acid, Water, SD Alcohol 39-C, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Isohexadecane, Polysorbate 80, Oligopeptide-10*, Fragrance. (*Radiance Guard-64)
Ingredients in P.A.C. Perfect™ Nighttime Recovery lotion
Water, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Isopropyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Isocetyl Stearate, Water, Stearic Acid, Coffee Arabica Extract (and) Vaccinium Myrtillus Fruit Extract (and) Rosa Roxburgii Fruit Extract*, Glyceryl Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Xanthan Gum, Cetyl Alcohol, Triethanolamine, Disodium EDTA, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance. (*supplied as a proprietary blend.)
- Typically, those with cystic acne are out of luck when it comes to trying new treatments. From LED light to new ingredients, most treatments are designed for mild to moderate acne. Based upon our analysis, as you will read below, Isolaz lasers are an efficacious treatment best reserved for those without sensitive skin or rosacea. They…
- With an estimated seventeen million Americans suffering from acne, it's no wonder that there is a plethora of acne medications and treatments. One of the latest is the Obagi Clenziderm M.D. Acne Therapeutic System, which contains 5% benzoyl peroxide in the second step. It claims to "clear, soothe, and protect your skin" in one convenient…
- It's a new year, and people always love a fresh start. So what about a fresh face? Avon Clearskin Professional Acne System ($34.00, Amazon.com) is Avon's leading acne system, featuring a Deep Pore Cleansing Scrub (4.2 oz), Clarifying Toner Pads (45 pads), and Daily Correcting Lotion for under $40. Not a bad deal! The primary…