An Exciting New Product: Skinceuticals Phloretin CF

If you read my blog enough, you know that I am a diehard Skinceuticals CE Ferulic junkie. I would probably inject, inhale, and snort the $128 serum if it were possible to do so. (And yes, this is me being sarcastic, haha.)  :-)

So imagine my surprise when I discovered that Skinceuticals has a new serum: Skinceuticals Phloretin CF ($128.00, Skinmedix.com). It’s kind-of like CE Ferulic was a Harvard grad, only to have its baby cousin Phloretin CF emerge and become a Rhodes Scholar: Phloretin CF is just that amazing.  Preliminary research demonstrates that it is basically a super antioxidant that not only fights free radicals, but also protects against DNA damage and penetrates well into the skin.  As said in June 2008 issue of Oprah, “Phloretin, a natural extract that’s been studied as an anticancer agent, is the newest antioxidant available topically; research has shown it can penetrate the skin and provide significant UV protection.”  According to Dr. Brenton B. Koch, M.D., F.A.C.S., SkinCeuticals developed Phloretin CF after five extensive years of research.  Dr. Koch elaborates in his blog, “This powerhouse formulation divides and conquers when it comes to damage at every level.  Phloretin CF protects against not only free radicals, but the range of other reactive molecules known to cause damage and DNA mutations among integral cell types.  In addition, it corrects existing damage by stimulating the synthesis of essential proteins and fibers and accelerating cell turnover.”  Additional research in The Journal of Biological Chemistry shows that phloretin is an inhibitor of sugar transport amongst red blood cells, which holds some level of promise as to the role phloretin may play in AGE formation and the subsequent hardening of the skin’s collagen.

So how does Phloretin CF differ from CE Ferulic?  Basically, Skinceuticals:

• removed all the vitamin E (1% to 0%) and 5% of the vitamin C from CE Ferulic (from 15% to 10%)
  • kept the same level of ferulic acid as an antioxidant stabilizer (0.5%)
  • added in 2% phloretin (from 0% to 2%)

What is exciting about this is that 2% phloretin reportedly is a very powerful antioxidant, not only fighting free radicals, but also protecting DNA from future damage and penetrating the skin in a way the ingredients in CE Ferulic were not shown to in published research.  What is not exciting is that the product not only contains less vitamin C than CE Ferulic, but took out the vitamin E altogether, and vitamin C and vitamin E in combination have many well-established functions together, including prevention of the formation of carcinogenic nitrosamines and enhancing the photoprotective effects of sunscreen, as vitamin C has been reported to enhance UVA protection, whereas vitamin E is more effective against UVB radiation.  Vitamin C and vitamin E are also two antioxidants that are able to “borrow” an electron to enhance one another.

So which is better?  The word is still out, until some brilliant scientist decides to do a comparison study of 15% L-ascorbic acid and 0.5% vitamin E versus 10% L-ascorbic acid and 2.0% phloretin.  I say, if you are a cautious person, stick to the proven CE Ferulic until more research inevitably surfaces.  (And my own personal experience from doing a switch to Phloretin CF, which will be available on the blog on June 17.  :-) ) On the other hand, if you are a trendy person who likes to be the first to try new things, then I would try Phloretin CF, because it is likely that 2.0% phloretin is equally or even more effective than 0.5% vitamin E, though one cannot be sure of such a thought.

At any rate, I love Phloretin CF!  Be sure to come back on June 17 (and hopefully before, haha) to get the full scoop on my personal experiences from the switch!  :-)

• 72
    After a few days of using Skinceuticals' new Phloretin CF instead of my beloved Skinceuticals CE Ferulic, I have come to a surprising decision on what works best: using both together! After speaking to a friend in the beauty business, it was suggested that perhaps Skinceuticals manufactured Phloretin CF without vitamin E so that CE…
  • 64
    You know you love a skin care product when people start to identify you by it: "Oh wow! You're FutureDerm! And what's that product you're always recommending, CE what?" - Girl at the bookstore "Hey! You're the blogger who loves that vitamin C serum! Welcome to my site!" - Fellow online blogger "Hey, I know…
  • 49
    Between worrying about whether my Tupperware container can be microwaved or my plastic water bottle contains BPA, it's a miracle I have any time to eat at all.  (!)  With all of this concern about containers, I recently turned my attention to skin care containers, wondering if they could potentially be harmful as well.  While…

29 thoughts on “An Exciting New Product: Skinceuticals Phloretin CF

1. Jen says:

hi nicki, is it safe to purchase skinceuticals products on skinmedix.com?

I came across a review by limpy on makeupalley:
    [Ok, Guys:
    I just called Skinceuticals directly and asked them why do some websites sell their products at such a huge discount.
    I was told that Skinceuticals suspended working with other web retailers 1 year ago. The only way to purchase an authentic product is from skinceuticals.com or from your local authorized dermatologist.
    It seems suspicious to me that these websites even have "travel-size" samples for sale, even though the manufacturer does not sell these vials on its website.
    Something is fishy.
    Do you guys trust that the product you buy is correctly formulated? How do you know?
    I don't want to spend $135.
    Update: I just called Skinstore.com.
    I used to purchase CE Ferulic from them last year.
    I asked them why they sell Skinceuticals on their website, if Skinceuticals no longer sells their products through intermediaries. I was told that Skinceuticals did not renew a contract with them and they are selling whatever remained from their last year's stock.]

thanks!

p.s. keep up the great work! :)

2. lynne says:

Plan on trying Skinceuticals but I’m really overwhelmed with all the products and what works really and what doesn’t. Seems like there are a lot out there that do actually work, but I always wonder, wouldn’t everyone want to use them if they really did? Currently using Kate Somerville and like the way my skin has changed, but it really is not providing anything for wrinkles thus far (3months). I keep trying.

3. Jeanie says:

Wow, great to know there are more and more antioxidants out there to choose from. I have a question though: how does it react with someone who is using retinol? I am on a retinol regimen right now and my skin is sensitive enough. Really don’t want to over-do it. I do plan on using CE Ferulic (just got the package yesterday!)and will use in the morning, retinol at night. Thanks for your blog! It is always so straight forward and chock full of information!

4. Danielle says:

I’m sticking w/ CE Ferulic for now, although I’m excited about Skinceuticals coming up with new and improved products.

5. Rachel Sanchez says:

Thank you for all the research you do, I appreciate the scientific aspect of your blog. It is well written and very informative. I will continue with the CE Ferulic for now. What are your thoughts on the Skinceuticals sunscreen have you tried it? Will you consider researching NIA24? I was recently given a sample of the sunscreen, it was very nice on my face, just wondering what you think of the ingredients in their product line. I have looked for past postings and didn’t find any info on it. Thanks again

6. sofi76 says:

Haven’t tried Skinceuticals but I really have been intrigued by the CE Ferulic- it would be nice to see more research. Can’t wait to hear how it went for you, Nicki. :)

7. Katherine says:

I’m really excited to hear about this. I’m currently trying out John Masters Organics Vit C serum (a low price point for my entry into the world of serums) but I’m interested to see the results that these two produce. Thanks for the in-depth information (as always!)

8. Sarah says:

I began using CE Ferulic about a month ago and it’s the one skin product I’ve bought where I noticed a significant, almost immediate change (my skin was smoother), so I’m very curious to see what you say on 6/17. I agree Lynne, that it’s hard to know what really does work and that it’s just trial and error, maybe because people’s skin also responds differently to different ingredients?

9. megan says:

I’ve been wearing Skinceuticals Serum 20 for almost two years per my derm’s recommendation, so I’m familiar with their products but obviously want to use the best one… I can’t wait to read your follow-up in two weeks!

10. Christine says:

I’ll be looking for your post on 6/17! I’ve been using the CR Ferulic for a couple months, and I love it! I wonder though… could these two products be used either AM/PM or alternating days to get the antioxidants from both?

11. Marc79 says:

I found the C+E Ferulic serum to be slightly irritating for my skin (currently using tretinoin). I experienced a warm/heated reaction and overall discomfort. I’m wondering if the reduced concentration of ascorbic acid and the addition of the polyphenol might make it less irritating for me. Interested to try it… Thanks for the heads-up :)

12. Denise says:

My skin loves vitamin C so I’m glad they kept 10% of it and I’m looking forward to your review for this product. All this talk about antioxidants makes me wish there were a better way to compare them. How does phloretin work? is it a network antioxidant? or is more like coffeeberry?

13. Prodonia says:

My skin loves Vitamin C as well…can’t wait to hear your thoughts on Phloretin. I am currently using magnesium ascorbyl palmitate ( a relatively stable, non-irritating form of Vitamin C) and it is working well for me. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the different forms of vitamin C.

14. Pingback: Which to Choose: Skinceuticals CE Ferulic or Phloretin CF? - FutureDerm.com

15. Pingback: Which to Choose: Skinceuticals CE Ferulic or Phloretin CF? « FutureDerm.WordPress.com

16. Pingback: Dear FutureDerm… « FutureDerm.WordPress.com

17. Pingback: Dear FutureDerm… - FutureDerm.com

18. Marie says:

According to Paula Begoun, this product is NOT recommended, because of the high alcohol content which causes free radical damage and skin irritation. It’s on her Best/Worst for this month. don’t buy this stuff!

19. futurederm says:

Dear Ivy,

Please check with your dermatologist/physician about this. I don’t think it should be a problem, but I am only a student and cannot give medical advice as of yet.

Nicki

20. Janda9800 says:

Nicki – do you still use Skinceuticals? Do you have a list of your daily skincare regimen somewhere? THank you!

21. Angie says:

Nicki, I’ve been hearing that Vit C is not recommended during the day. Do you have any information about it? thanks a lot