Product Launch of the Year: Aveeno Ageless Vitality Rejuvenating Skin Treatment

So, yes, I still am preparing for the medical boards (about 8-10 hours/day, thankyouverymuch).  But on a recent trip to the grocery store, I noticed an advertisement for the new Aveeno Ageless Vitality Rejuvenating Skin Treatment ($35.99 for the set, Amazon.com), which claims to boost skin’s elastin production, and I had to get on researching this for my readers ASAP.  Elastin fibers are found at the periphery of collagen bundles in the dermis, and they provide the skin with the ability to “recoil,” according to Dr. Leslie Baumann, M.D. in her text, Cosmetic Dermatology.

Defects of elastin are associated with wrinkled and sagging skin. In a 1989 study in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology, a child with “wrinkled skin syndrome” was found to the causal agent be a deficiency of elastin fibers.  In healthy individuals, normal damage to elastin fibers is incurred whenever the skin is exposed to the UV rays; elastin subsequently degrades into an amorphous substance that may be witnessed with light microscopy.  As such, older individuals and those who are exposed to more UV rays (i.e., those who use tanning beds, fly often, live in sunny climates, or who do not use sunscreen) are subject to higher levels of elastin degradation.

What makes Aveeno Ageless Vitality Rejuvenating Skin Treatment so unique is that it naturally increases elastin production up to 5 times, by some reports.  This increases skin firmness and elasticity (and reduces wrinkle appearance) somewhat in as little as 4 weeks.  In fact, according to a recent StyleList interview with Dr. Baumann, “By increasing elastin, the skin will bounce back better and sag less. I am most excited about the eye product. In a clinical study, 100% of women showed revitalized eyes in 4 weeks with improvement in brightness, dark circles, and a lifted appearance in and around the eye area.”

“Secret” Ingredients

There are multiple great ingredients in this product: feverfew, shittake mushroom, and oats (fights inflammation) and soy (increases firmness and fights hyperpigmentation).  However, the secret of the Aveeno Ageless Vitality Rejuvenating Skin Treatment is the 2 microamp current, which is created when [positively-charged] zinc and copper pass a [negatively-charged] electron between them.  The skin responds to this increase in electrical energy by naturally producing more collagen and elastin in the context of the other Aveeno Ageless Vitality ingredients (Blackberry Extract and Dill are also reported to be necessary for the increase in elastin production).

This is a really significant and exciting finding – and something that only an enormous company like Johnson & Johnson would be able to fund at an affordable price.  Bravo, Johnson & Johnson – this is incredible!

Haven’t I seen this before?

Sure.  Ingredients like retinoids, AHAs (glycolic acid), vitamin C, and chemical/laser peels can cause your skin to increase its collagen and elastin production naturally.  Another product, Relastin Eye Silk, also possesses the ability to increase elastin production.  However, most other skin care products simply preserve collagen production, either by inhibiting matrix metalloproteinase inhibitors (MMPis) (enzymes that degrade collagen), or protecting from UV or other environmental damage.  Some products even contain elastin as an ingredient.  However, putting elastin in a skin care cream does not cause your skin to create more collagen; it has been found that elastin simply binds to water in your skin, acting as an emollient.  Aveeno Ageless Vitality Rejuvenating Skin Treatment is different because it is affordable for many women and makes the skin naturally produce more collagen.

The Bottom Line

Maybe the big 6 in skin care are still arguably sunscreen, retinoids, antioxidants, AHAs, peptides, and niacinamide, but if you are into one-stop shopping (and really, who isn’t?), Aveeno Ageless Vitality Rejuvenating Skin Treatment will make a difference in your skin’s brightness, dark circles, and firmness in as little as 4 weeks.  Plus, with a 30-day money-back guarantee at many stores, how can you go wrong?  I, for one, am getting a set as a reward for getting through the medical boards on April 27.  :-)

Product Rating: 10/10 (High concentration of proven ingredients: 3/3.  Unique formulation or new technology: 3/3.  Value for the money: 3/3.  Sunscreen: 1/1).

Have any experiences with Aveeno Ageless Vitality Rejuvenating Skin Treatment?  Feel free to share them in Comments or in the new FutureDerm web forum!  :-)

• 37
    Ready for some scary facts about aging? Your skin starts aging even while it may look smooth and supple. Aging starts with the skin's building blocks. Collagen is the fibrous protein material found in your flesh and connective tissues (Molecular Cell Biology). It’s one of the proteins, in addition to elastin, that gives your skin…
  • 35
    Without her, I wouldn't have a blog today:  It was Dr. Leslie Baumann's Cosmetic Dermatology textbook that inspired me to create FutureDerm.com in the first place five years ago.  Now, I am glowingly excited to report that we have an exclusive interview with Dr. Baumann!  I don't think I could be any more excited! FutureDerm's…
  • 33
    According to Dr. Mehmet Oz, M.D., of the Dr. Oz Show fame, you should save your money on the "fancy" creams, and buy St. Ives Facial Moisturizer Timeless Collagen Elastin ($4.44, Amazon.com) instead. Unfortunately, while I have the utmost respect and admiration for Dr. Oz, I have to disagree with him on this one.  Here's…

24 thoughts on “Product Launch of the Year: Aveeno Ageless Vitality Rejuvenating Skin Treatment

1. Julie says:

I was very excited to try the eye product. The BIG problem for me is that it leaves my eye contours very dry after about an hour, or even less. Why couldn’t they make the product more moisturizing?! I have very dry skin, but still, this stuff doesn’t provide any meaningful moisture. I’m wondering if using my usual eye cream on top makes it less effective. The bigger problem is that’s just too many things to layer on my eyes…it’s exhausting!

2. Sean says:

I tried the Neutrogena Clinical version of this product and agree – there is no moisture provided. Not sure if that’s just the nature of the product, or the fact that there seems to be silicon in the ion complex which blocks moisturizer in the activating serum from doing its job?

3. Carol says:

Nicki,

In your opinion, do you think this product can be used at the same time as a vitamin C product? What about with other moisurizers (as Julie said)?

Thanks,
    Carol

4. Diane says:

Any word on how sensitive skin behaves with this? Anyone else besides Julie experienced dryness?

I’m off to buy my line-up tonight…

Nicki – good luck with the boards. We are rooting for you!

5. betsy says:

I love trying out new lotions and potions. I found this product here. I am trying this for the last 4 days and the results are awesome – I’m just too excited.

6. Jody says:

I bought the set for eyes and yes, I agree its not that moisturizing, but I only use at night. During the day, I use a separate eye cream with antioxidants. Neutrogena also has sets with the same technology.

7. shar (aka topkat) says:

I plan to pick up the night cream tomorrow.

I just realized that Niikki has set up a forum ! I am the first poster; my post is about Revaleskin.

Jodi, Betsy, Diane, Carol, and Julie: Please consider joining Nikki’s forum. Let’s get a good group going!

8. Lauren says:

Oh girl.

CONGRATS on being done with boards

I’ve been there. I’m an intern. I love your blog. Enjoy the rest of med school it only gets better from here!

9. Lily says:

Hi all, does anyone know if the elastin production claims apply to the night treatment as well? The reason I ask is that I saw an ad talking about how women saw a difference in four weeks and about all the benefits etc… there was a little asterik at the end of the statement. At the bottom of the page referencing the asterik, there was a statement that said the results applied to the day treatment. It didn’t specifically rule out the night, but the night treatment wasn’t mentioned. Does this mean it works differently than the day product and the day product is the one to buy if you want those particular results? Thanks for any help! :)

10. Satyricon331 says:

I’m afraid of this product. I’d love to increase my elastin in addition to collagen, but in the article on this blog about Copper Peptides, Nikki mentioned that copper can induce free radical and matrix metalloproteinase formation. Wouldn’t it be an issue for this copper-containing product too? Or is it not an issue for some reason? I don’t want to reduce my collagen for the sake of my elastin =/

11. lany says:

I love your blog and look forward to all your new reviews. With respect to spot reduction and brightener, how does this compare with products like Meladerm? what would you recommend to be a good product for sun spot reduction?

thanks!

12. Jean says:

I am not sure why anyone would buy the eye product, since the much larger day and night versions can be used around the eyes. There are three products that use this new tech: Aveeno Vitality, Roc Brilliance and Neutrogena Clinical.

I am on week four of Aveeno Vitality and my skin is firmer and brighter. I am going to try the Neutrogena version next. All of these products have coupons/rebates on their websites.

13. Skinsavey says:

I was looking for eye cream since from years and I really didn’t think anything would help. After getting recommendation from myskin.com,i use this product a week and find it to be good. It is a great product.

14. Diane says:

Curious on everyone’s results with this product.

I bought the eye and the night formula (yes I agree that I probably could have skipped the ‘eye’) and used every night for about 1 week. My skin got quite dry and flaky so I dialed back my use to about 1x week for about 4 weeks. I have not seen any noticeable results.

I’d love to hear how the other brands are working too.

15. Pingback: Product Launch of the Year: Aveeno Ageless Vitality Rejuvenating Skin Treatment | Hairy Style™

16. Debbie says:

Thank you so much for posting about this new product. I purchased it today because I like Aveeno skin lotion. I bought the Day system and hope it would be the only moisturizer I need. I didn’t know about any other products offered. I’ve never put anything under my eyes and probably should. I’m just now starting to take care of my skin…unfortunately, at age 55.

Good luck and again…thank you.

17. Pingback: Johnson and Johnson New Skin Care Products 2010: Aveeno Ageless Vitality, Neutrogena Clinical, and RoC Brilliance « BeautyOutsider.com

18. M. S. says:

Cut open the product container and you will find a lot of useless plastic and a couple of metal springs but virtually no product. It is a packaging deception. A waste of money.

19. Pingback: Complexion MD Anti-Wrinkle Cream Review | FutureDerm

20. maria says:

hi Nikki — do you still like this product? And do you still like copper/zinc as a treatment for building elastin or does it break it down instead?
    thanks.