This post was written by Aleya who writes the blog for Hair Design Institute, a Florida beauty school with locations in New York.
Many women hate throwing out expired makeup because they love the color or don’t want to feel as if they are throwing away money. Other women simply don’t realize that makeup has an expiration date the same way that food does and can be harmful if used past the date of well-being.
Since the FDA does not make it mandatory for cosmetic companies to print expiration dates on their products, I would like to share some important facts that you should know about using outdated cosmetic products.
Using makeup that has gone bad can lead to many skin problems. Take a look at the list below. If you have any of these symptoms it may be a good idea for you to get some new skincare and see if your issues clear up, or to visit a dermatologist ASAP:
Skin Allergies Rashes Dry Skin Pimples Eye Infections
All of these problems lead back to bacteria. If a product is sitting around for an extended period of time, or if they are stored in a place that is very warm bacteria can build up and spread throughout the packaging. Once this happens, the makeup is no longer fit for use.
When Does Makeup Expire?
Different products have different expiration dates so the best thing that you can do to make sure that you’re not using something that has gone bad is to label it with the purchase date as soon as you buy it.
Four ways that you know that your makeup is no longer good are:
- It has a strange odor.
- The consistency has changed.
- There is water in it and there never was in the past.
- There is oil in it.
From the date of purchase here are some dates that you should keep an eye on.
- Mascara- 3 months
- Lipstick and Lip Gloss- 1 year
- Nail Polish- 1 year
- Moisturizers, Foundations and Concealers- up to 1 year
- Eye Shadows- up to 3 years
We’ve all mourned the loss of our favorite nail polish and tried to resurrect it by shaking the bottle, but just because you mixed it, it doesn’t mean that it’s now safe to use it. The same goes for your other products, so remember that it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- 70Several weeks ago I was flipping through Sephora's site and I saw Sephora by OPI Looks Like Rain Dear. It's described as an opaque gold with fine and chunky iridescent glitter. Obviously, it had me at gold and iridescent. Ingredients: Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, Tosylamide/Epoxy Resin, Acetyl Tributyl Citrate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Bentonite, Benzophenone-1,…
- 61Happy Friday! Today I've got a gorgeous mani for you with Wet n' Wild Fergie Centerstage polish in Mermaid Curves and China Glaze Tranzitions polish in Duplicity. Product Availability Wet n' Wild Mermaid Curves is $3.49 at Walgreens. China Glaze Tranzitions is $5.99 at Sally's Beauty Supply. Wet n' wild Fergie Centerstage Mermaid Curves…
- 61If you're looking for a different combination to wear this Fall and Winter but prefer to eschew metallics, I've got the perfect manicure for you. Break out Cult Nails Nevermore (the perfect one coat black creme) and pair it with a new polish, butter London Fairy Cake. Fairy Cake is a full coverage, silvery, multi-colour…