I get a lot of e-mails asking about luxury products:  Are they always better?  (No.)  Do they contain ingredients or delivery systems you might not get in lesser products?  (Sometimes).  Such is the case with the best-selling Chanel LeBlanc Brightening Concentrate Continuous Action TXCTM ($140.00, Amazon.com).   A sensation in Asia since 2010, the concentrate promises to deliver “haute whitening: lighted up from within, transparent, even and radiant, as perfect as a fine pearl.”  Considering that I love Chanel, I [mentally] covered up the label, put all bias aside, and broke this one down like a scientist:

TXCTM

Melanocytes

Melanocytes are the cells that produce melanin. TXC affects melanocytes differently than other hyperpigmentation treatments, like hydroquinone, kojic acid, or resorcinol.

TXCTM is the active ingredient in the Chanel LeBlanc line.  A derivative of transexamic acid, TXCTM gets rid of age spots using a brand-new mechanism distinct from hydroquinone, kojic acid, or resorcinol.  These ingredients all inhibit an enzyme called tyrosinase, which is necessary for the production of melanin within the skin.  TXCTM also prevents melanin from forming, but does so by reducing levels of two other components necessary for melanin production:  prostaglandins and arachidonic acid (Journal of Health Science, 2007).

In an open pilot study published in Dermatologic Therapy in 2007, injections of tranexamic acid were given to 100 women with melasma for 12 weeks. The treatments were well- tolerated, and 76.5% of the subjects reported lightening of their melasma.  Unfortunately, there are no published studies to date in any scientific journals that show how well topical tranexamic acid works on the skin.  In-house studies at Chanel show TXC™ delivers continuous action to keratinocytes cultured in vitro for 12 hours (Chanel.com), but still no in vivo human trials.

However, there is good news:  In the first step of tranexamic acid action, it binds to plasminogen, which circulates in the bloodstream and adopts an open form when it reaches the cell surface.  I assume, judging from the success of the LeBlanc line in Asia, topical application of transexamic acid is sufficient enough to cause skin lightening.  To what degree, I don’t think the dermatological community can say for sure as of yet.

More Info about TXCTM for True Science Buffs!

For you science buffs out there, TXCTM prevents the binding of plasminogen to  keratinocytes, which results in reduction of prostaglandins and arachidonic acid, the inflammatory mediators involved in melanogenesis.

Personal Use and Opinions

Chanel LeBlanc Brightening Concentrate Continuous Action TXCTM is suitable for all skin types, as it is not too hydrating for oily/acne-prone skin or desiccating for dry skin.

It was designed as an updated version of the former lightening serum, Chanel White Essentiel.  Unlike White EssentielLeBlanc Brightening Concentrate Continuous Action TXCTM  is not greasy or sticky, but rather velvety.  It spreads over skin like silk and is instantly absorbed to a semi-matte finish on the skin.

Bottom Line

Chanel LeBlanc Brightening Concentrate Continuous Action TXCTM is the first in America to contain the ingredient TXCTM, which fights hyperpigmentation by an entirely different mechanism than any of the others on the U.S. market right now.  Though somewhat unproven by independent clinical trials, the way transexemic acid and its derivatives continue to sell out in Asia demonstrates: a.) TXCTM must be doing something to fight hyperpigmentation, and b.) dermatologists and skin scientists need to study this in comparison to other hyperpigmentation ingredients, stat.  :-)

Product Rating:  9/10  (High or optimized concentration of proven ingredients:  2.5/3.  Unique formulation or new technology:  3/3.  Value for the money:  2.5/3.  UV protection: 1/1, because there is prevention of UV damage.  Also, this product is better than an 8/10, so I “boosted” this one a little ;-) )

Got a question for FutureDerm.com?  Ask via our Facebook page!

OTHER POSTS YOU MIGHT ENJOY

FOLLOW FUTUREDERM.COM ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER!

• 32
    Full out confession:  When I received a bottle of RevaléSkin Illuminesse Brightening Complex for review from one of my favorite advertisers (SkinMedix), I was in an all-out panic.  First, coffee berry is found in concentrations up to 1.5% in RevaléSkin products, as in the Intense Recovery Complex.  The new RevaléSkin Illuminesse Brightening Complex contains only 0.5% coffee berry.…
  • 31
    There are certain things you are not supposed to talk about at the dinner table: money, sex, and politics. And then there are the things that you are never supposed to talk about anywhere -- maybe your family's biggest secret, your friend's miscarriage, that moment you and your not single co-worker shared in Bora Bora five years…
  • 31
    Lancôme Visionnaire LR 2412 ($66.99, Amazon.com) is the latest in anti-aging products from the French powerhouse.  The secret is LR 2412, Lancôme claims "propels through skin layers" to trigger "a cascading series of micro-transformations."  If that doesn't sound impressive, what does?  Unfortunately, as per usual, the reality is not as beautiful as the marketing: LR 2412…

17 thoughts on “A Truly Novel Product: Chanel Le Blanc Brightening Concentrate Continuous Action TXC™

1. cj says:

just out of curiosity would you suggest the moisturizer as well? the packaging seems like it would make it unstable.

thanks!

2. futurederm says:

@cj – Hi CJ! Yes and no. Is your primary concern hyperpigmentation? Or do you have other concerns, like fine lines and wrinkles? The reason I’m asking is this: If you only have primary hyperpigmentation, it doesn’t hurt to invest in the full line, which will give you the fullest dose of TXC. (Kind-of like investing in a full-strength hydroquinone product). I know the packaging is less than ideal on the moisturizer with the open top and all, but it’s still not a bad idea if hyperpigmentation is your #1 concern.

On the other hand, if you have fine lines, wrinkles, and dull skin, there’s nothing like a retinoid-based moisturizer for nighttime. You can still use this over a concentrated thinner serum like the Chanel LeBlanc.

Hope this helps.

3. cj says:

hi again

thanks for the reply. Your site is so helpful! no wrinkles or fine lines on my face yet just some minor hyper pigmentation or maybe it is sun damage, it’s dark whatever it is.

i think the line includes a cleanser and toner but I probably would like to try out the moisturizer/serum as per your advice.

I am currently using philosophy miracle worker but it really does not for dark spots.

do you have any info on the kate somerville discoloration line?

also, dullness is an issue, any retinoid-counter/drugstore you’d recommend?

thank you so much.

4. NCAC says:

Hi – I want to know whether Chanel LeBlanc Brightening Concentrate Continuous Action TXC was safe to use during pregnancy. Thank you.

5. christine says:

Hi lovely! Just one question, this product can make my skin whiter? I wan’t a product that make a whitening effect, because I love ultra pale skin, so this product is the one I need? =)
    Thanks!

6. futurederm says:

@NCAC – From a look at the ingredients, it appears to be safe. However, we cannot give medical advice online. I would strongly encourage you to ask a medical professional during your next visit!

@Christine – Yes, this product can make your skin lighter. However, have you tried hydroquinone? I’ve found the best results with 4% prescription hydroquinone.

7. alynn says:

You mention this product prevents melanin from forming. Does this mean if I am exposed to sun that my face will not lightly tan any longer? I don’t want to look strange if I get a light tan on my body and my face is super pale! And for the record, I mean incidental sun exposure like my daily dog walks, no baking in the sun for this girl! Thanks Future Derm!

8. futurederm says:

@alynn – Hi Alynn! Yes, you will still tan, but the process will be slowed somewhat on your face or any other regions where you apply the product. So yes, your face will probably look slightly lighter than the rest of your body if you use this or any other product with hydroquinone inhibitors on your face. Excellent point!

9. Stacy says:

I was naive when I bought this moisturizer. I was looking for a good moisturizer and wanted to treat myself. When the man at the counter told me that this moisturizer would also work on evening out my skintone, I thought “why not?” After using it for about a week, I realized my foundation did not match my face any longer because my skin was really light ;-( I stopped using it because I didn’t want my whole face to be light. I only wanted my brown spots to fade. Once I stopped using it, my brown spots returned and now they are more noticeable because my whole face is lighter. I was using sunscreen spf 30 during the time and continue to use it now.
    I was wondering if my skin will return to it’s normal skin tone and color now that I’ve stopped using it. Any information and/or suggestions would be helpful. Thank you so much!

10. Nicki says:

@Stacy – Thanks for your great question! In general, hydroquinone inhibitors work only for as long as you use them, give or take 1-2 weeks. That said, your pigmentation should return to normal after you stop using them. If it does not, write back (I’d be curious to research this more) and, perhaps more importantly, see your dermatologist!

11. Stacy says:

One last question, did you mean melanin inhibitors when you said hydroquinone inhibitors?
    Thanks so much for the information, I really appreciate it ;-)

12. Nicki says:

@Stacy – Hi! By “hydroquinone inhibitors,” I meant “tyrosinase inhibitors.” Whoops! (This is why I need an editor, LOL!) So “tyrosinase inhibitors” include hydroquinone, TXC, etc. Hope this helps!

13. Priscilla says:

I am a 58 y/0 african american female and I am looking for product that will even out my skin tone. Would you recommnend this product for me to use?

14. Cmartinez says:

can I use this product If im not Asian? im olive complexion and I have the product however after reading this, I am afraid the only purpose for this , is to make you lighter ? I also have sensitive skin. Im scared to use it now :( your advice is greatly appreciated

15. Chantel says:

I’m interested in trying this entire line. Do you know if these products are safe to use with salicylic acid and retinol. I’m acne prone so these products are essential, but I can’t find any useful information on the web.