What Do I Use for CoffeeBerry Now that RevaleSkin is Discontinued?

RevaleSkin
Submitted via the FutureDerm.com Facebook page:
Dear Nicki, I heard recently that RevaleSkin was being discontinued.  What do I use now? -PPD
Dear PPD, It's sad but true:  Stiefel Laboratories has made the decision to discontinue RevaléSkin products, as stated in an official announcement in 2012.   Known for reporting the "highest concentration of CoffeeBerry available on the market," RevaléSkin is no longer being manufactured, and retailers will not be able to replenish it once it is gone.

Why CoffeeBerry?

Rhamnus californica California Coffeeberry
Derived from the coffee cherry of the Coffea arabica plant when it is still green and “sub-ripe”, CoffeeBerry has highest antioxidant potential of any ingredient measured to date, based on its Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity Score (ORAC) — a method developed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture as the standard to measure the antioxidant capacity of natural substances. In plain terms, this means CoffeeBerry is a better antioxidant than green tea, white tea, vitamin C, vitamin E, grape seed extract or idebenone. In fact, CoffeeBerry Extract has ten times the antioxidant power of green tea (Cosmetic Dermatology, 2007). Why is CoffeeBerry such a potent antioxidant?  CoffeeBerry contains an extremely high concentration of compounds called polyphenols, particularly chlorogenic acid, which serve as potent antioxidants. CoffeeBerry may be so effective also because of its mechanism of action in the cell. Unlike other antioxidants, CoffeeBerry combats free radicals throughout the entire skin cell, unlike many other antioxidants, which are limited to specific areas of the cell.
English: The appearance of green tea at three ...
Further, CoffeeBerry contains exfoliating polyhydroxy acids, which help the user see almost immediate improvement. According to clinical trials by the company, the texture and tone of the skin treated with CoffeeBerry extract showed 46 per cent improvement in fine lines and wrinkles, 64 per cent in overall skin smoothness, and 79 per cent in skin hydration. However, no studies to date have compared the effect of CoffeeBerry alone to combinations of other antioxidants, which may act synergistically to sustain their levels in the skin.

Other Products with CoffeeBerry

Priori
Priori has also bought the patented rights to CoffeeBerry in skin care, resulting in their Priori Day Cream ($72.76, Amazon.com); Priori CoffeeBerry Night Complex ($73.79, Amazon.com, shown above); and Priori CoffeeBerry Tightening Serum ($59.00, Amazon.com).  The Priori CoffeeBerry line has the advantage that it is natural and organic, unlike RevaléSkin.  It also has a lower price point than the RevaléSkin line. Unfortunately, the Priori line does not list the concentration of CoffeeBerry in its products like RevaléSkin. Considering RevaléSkin regularly touted having the most concentrated CoffeeBerry on the market, I have a feeling Priori doesn't list their concentrations because they fall well short.  At any rate, limited quantities of RevaléSkin products are available online.  Some have already begun a steep discount - on Amazon.com, for example, the once $40 cleanser is now just $14.

Are there alternatives to CoffeeBerry?

CoffeeBerry's antioxidant capacity has already been compared to green tea, white tea, vitamin C, vitamin E, grape seed extract or idebenone - and bested them all.  That's the sad news. The happy part, however, is that it is very well possible (and highly likely) that combinations of antioxidants may be more potent than CoffeeBerry used alone.  For example, there are antioxidants called "network antioxidants," which enhance the power of one another when used together.  They do this by sharing electrons between them. How exactly do network antioxidants work?  Let's use an example.  Say you are wearing a cream with vitamin E and walk past a dirty truck that is heavy on the emissions, resulting in free radicals everywhere.  (Ew.)  The vitamin E in your cream can come in and "disarm" the free radicals by giving up its own electrons.  However, vitamin E is now void of electrons.  That's where using another "network antioxidant" can help, as they can donate electrons back to vitamin E, returning vitamin E back to its antioxidant state. So what are network antioxidants?  According to Dr. Leslie Baumann, there are two major sets:
  1. Vitamin C or CoQ10 can recycle vitamin E, donating electrons to vitamin E to return the nutrient to its antioxidant state.
  2. Vitamin C and lipoic acid can recycle vitamin C and glutathione, donating electrons to vitamin C and glutathione to return the nutrients to their antioxidant states.  (And no, that is not a typo - vitamin C and lipoic acid can restore vitamin C!)

Bottom Line

Yes, it is definitely a loss to the skin care community that RevaléSkin is gone.  However, you have three options to pick up the pieces and move on with your life ;-) (dramatic, I know!):
  1. Replace with Priori products with a lower concentration of CoffeeBerry;
  2. Stockpile as much RevaléSkin as you can, keeping in mind shelf life is likely less than 2 years;
  3. Start using products with network antioxidants, which strengthen the power of one another.  While it is true it is not proven that either of these networks are stronger than CoffeeBerry on its own, I suspect this may be true.  These networks include a.) Vitamin C or CoQ10 "recycling" vitamin E; and b.) Vitamin C and lipoic acid "recycling" vitamin C and glutathione.
I hope that this helps!
Enhanced by Zemanta
Date: May 31 2012 at 8:31 AM
Q&A, Skin Care, antioxidant, coffeeberry, green tea, Oxygen radical absorbance capacity, RevaleSkin, skin, Stiefel Laboratories, United States Department of Agriculture

1. Sofi Lewis
    June 1 2012 at 7:05 AM

Please go to our website http://www.prioriskincare.com/cb/coffeeberry.html to read more about CoffeeBerry® products and Treatments. In addition to the ALL NATURAL skincare products we also offer an Industry FIRST, Clinically proven, Anti-Aging Skincare Perfecting Minerals that includes CoffeeBerry® that will improve your skin every day that you wear them. We look forward to answer any questions that you have about our brand and what we can to to boost your business.

2. Nicki
    June 1 2012 at 7:49 AM

@Sofi - Thank you for providing this information! If you're interested in working with us in the future, please contact me at Nicki[at]futurederm[dot]com. Either way, thanks Sofi!

3. Debbie
    June 12 2012 at 6:36 AM

SkinActives sells coffeeberry so you can add it to your favorite cream.

4. Josephine
    July 25 2012 at 9:27 AM

Hi Nicki, the Intense Recovery Complex, has no expiration date but there is a date on the back of the box. So, if the date on the back of the box says 2009 Stiefel Labs, does that mean it was manufactured in 2009, thus the 2 year product shelf life is pretty much up? Stocking up then would be a waste of $ for me. Just not sure about that date! Their firming serum box says 2011 Stiefel Labs, for example.

5. Nicki
    July 27 2012 at 11:30 AM

@Josephine - Wow, that's a tough one. My rule of thumb is generally 3 years for moisturizers (and 1 month after they've been opened). That said, it's iffy about the 2009 product. I'd personally buy it, try it, check its color, and also ensure there was no odor before trying it. Hope this helps, Nicki

6. Josephine
    July 30 2012 at 11:44 AM

Smells faintly of coffee/mocha and it's the same very ight creamy coffee color. I'll give it whirl, but can't really buy more of the Intense 1.5% when the box say 2009. Although I think the Illuminating with the 2011 boxes is a sure bet!

7. Trae
    August 16 2012 at 1:44 PM

I was so bummed-out when I found out that RevaléSkin was being discontinued ! The Intensive Recovery Treatment was, by far, one of my favorite products, though I found I could only use it at night as my final product layer, as it had a tendency to pill-up when I tried to use it during the day under sunscreen. Nonetheless, it really helped to calm my skin, plus it smelled good LOL. I got a bottle of PRIORI's CoffeeBerry Day Complex and am preparing to try that out -- ideally, I'd like to use it in the AM with my other antioxidant products (ascorbic acid, green tea/caffeine/resveratrol, idebenone), so hopefully it doesn't pill-up. I tested a bit out on my hand, and the texture seemed to resemble a lightweight moisturizer (plus it smelled like vanilla icing ^_^ ). From what I could gather at PRIORI's site, their most-concentrated coffeeberry products (though, I'm not sure which of their products specifically are the most-concentrated) have the the ingredient loaded at 0.5 %, which, while less than that of RevaléSkin's most-concentrated product offerings, is still better that no coffeeberry at all, as I see it, plus it always excites me when I get to try a new product, so I'll see how it does in my morning regimen ^^,

8. Windy
    September 14 2012 at 11:54 AM

I just went to my dermatologist and purchased the Revale Skin night cream. I was told they were bought by another company and nothing would be changed except maybe the packaging. It will keep the same name.

9. Toni
    September 25 2012 at 4:33 PM

Windy is correct! Here's what it says on the Revaleskin website! REVALÉSKIN® IS BACK IN BUSINESS! US CosmeceuTechs, LLC recently acquired Revaléskin® and is looking forward to servicing all your Revaléskin® needs. US CosmeceuTechs, LLC is the original developer of the CoffeeBerry® skincare technology and clinical science, as well as the distributor of PRIORI® Skincare in over 30 countries worldwide. We are pleased to add physician-dispensed Revaléskin® to our technologically advanced line of professional skincare products. If you would like to locate a Revaléskin® partner, or if you would like to order products for your physician's office, please contact 1-877-300-4774 (option "3") for our Revaléskin® Customer Service, or email us at orders@revaleskin.com. General inquiries regarding Revaléskin® products may be sent to inquiries@revaleskin.com. WEBSITE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION

10. bonni
    October 18 2012 at 1:04 PM

when will i be able to purchase revaleskin night cream thru US Cosmeceu techs

11. mich
    February 25 2013 at 9:35 AM

i spoke with customer service at new company and they said that the intense recovery treatment has a two year shelf life from the DAY YOU OPEN IT. the only reasont he day cream has a listed expiration date is because it contains a sunscreen. hope this helps!

12. Angela
    March 1 2013 at 6:56 AM

RevaleSkin and Priori are now owned by the same company. Priori has 5% Coffeeberry. I emailed customer service and asked. Also, Revaleskin has a new Day cream with SPF 25 coming out April 2013. Here is their info: PRIORI® SKINCARE | REVALÉSKIN® O 804.592.2756 • F 804.743.9820 7489 Whitepine Road • Richmond, VA 23237-2268 www.prioriskincare.com • www.revaleskin.com