L'Oreal Visible Lift Absolute Concealer SPF 20 is a personal favorite of FutureDerm writer and beauty industry expert Leah Argento.
On May 27 Nicki discussed applying sunscreen around the eye area
, which got me thinking about my favorite concealer from L'Oréal – VisibleLift Serum Absolute
. Why? Because this concealer delivers sun protection factor to the delicate eye area. So, I decided to share a review on this product since it could be your answer (as it is mine) for SPF under the eyes, which is a tricky spot to apply sunscreen because it can cause irritation. I have been using this concealer for several years now, and I have to say it’s one of the best concealers I have ever used.
A Treatment Concealer
Just as a BB Cream is more than a moisturizer, this concealer works double duty as a treatment product, thanks to a nice cocktail of anti-aging ingredients coupled with an SPF of 20. Let’s look at some of the key active ingredients in VisibleLift Serum Absolute:
- Magnesium Sulfate – Commonly known as Epsom Salt, magnesium sulfate is a vasodilator, bringing more blood and therefore more nutrients to metabolically active tissue. Magnesium and sulfates are also known anti-inflammatory agents.
- Sodium Hyaluronate – A wonder humectant that hydrates the skin, increasing volume and density and reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Sodium hyaluronate has a small molecular size, making it especially penetrative, and is able to hold more water than any other natural substance. Thanks to these attributes, when applied topically to the skin, it can reach deep down into the dermis to combine with, maintain and attract water. Thanks to its super-sized hydrating properties, sodium hyaluronate will result in smoother, softer skin with decreased wrinkles and an all-around fuller appearance.
- Tocopherol – A synthetic form of Vitamin E, tocopheral is a known antioxidant.
- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate – A water soluble, stable derivative of Vitamin C, MAP is less irritating than Vitamin C (great for delicate eye tissue), suppresses melanin formation and lightens skin to reduce dark circles, and according to this study, can protect keratinocytes against UVA damage.
- Pea Extract (Pisum Savitum) – Besides its well documented antioxidant and anti-aging properties, this natural botanical extract reinforces the cells natural defenses against UV irradiation, as demonstrated in this clinical study.
It's hard to find a non-irritating eye cream with a built-in sunscreen. This one has 5.8% titanium dioxide, which is less irritating than chemical sunscreens.
While a sun protection factor of 20 may not be the “gold standard,” it is a perfectly acceptable SPF level. L'Oréal uses Titanium Dioxide (5.8%). Though not Nicki’s favorite (she prefers zinc oxide, which covers a longer range of UVA light), it is a physical sunscreen. According to MD Moms
, physical sunscreens are more appealing to a wider audience, as there is far less risk of irritation than with chemical sunscreens.
Though the L'Oréal website touts this as a lightweight concealer, my personal experience says it is medium coverage. You don’t need a lot of it to get really nice coverage; start thin - you can always build and with this product you can do so without ending up with a thick look because it is extremely blendable. It comes in 4 shades, so most skin tones will be able to find a good match. The best part? It does NOT crease…yeah! It does not crease all day – I’ve had fantastic results. As a women in my 40’s this is so important because the last thing I need is a concealer that settles into every wrinkle, making me look older! Many concealers claim they don’t settle but this one actually delivers the goods!
The applicator for L'Oreal Visible Lift Absolute Concealer may not be the most sanitary, but you should be fine provided you a.) use a Q-Tip to apply to pimples, b.) recap tightly after each use, and c.) replace the tube every 6-8 weeks or so.
I love the click pen applicator because it isn’t messy. In order to fill the brush with product you simply twist the base once or twice and vòila... ! Another plus is that the cap stays put. If you’ve ever had a lipstick or concealer who’s cap has lost its grip, fallen off in your purse & made a mess you know what I’m talkin’ ‘bout! Cheap packaging is a big turn off for me, but this is quality packaging. I also love the slim pen design because it travels nicely, even in a tiny purse. I read a few complaints about the applicator, folks claiming the brush is unsanitary, but it should be fine provided that you use it regularly and finish a tube within a few weeks. If you're going to cover a pimple, I would agree that you do not want to touch the brush directly to your face. In this case simply use a Q-Tip to remove the product from the brush and apply it from the Q-Tip by dotting the product where needed.
Otherwise, I think either of these application options (shown right) works well. Also, when I have excess product in my brush I will use it to lightly rim my lips, which helps me achieve a smoother application of my MAC lip liner (I like Whirl). And, prior to the laser work on my broken capillaries I would also use it to cover the redness from my telangeactasia.
I like the cocktail of key ingredients, though I can’t speak to the concentrations of them in the product except for the sunscreen. The formulation, while not a new concept, is certainly a work horse. Because it’s so affordable, VisibleLift Absolute Serum Concealer is a great value, and with an SPF20 I highly recommend you try it. Let me know what you think!