Oh, Burberry. Your plaid is a statement, your clothes divine, but your new Burberry Lip Cover Lipstick ($19.99 for deluxe sample, Amazon.com; $30.00 for full size, Nordstrom.com)? Well, the packaging is gorgeous and the shades are sophisticated, but the formula is a bit dry. Here’s more:
Ingredient Analysis: Smooth but Not Moisturizing
As far as the main ingredients in lipstick go, the more emollient or moisturizing ingredients that are listed amongst the first five, the more moisturizing the formula will be. Moisturizing ingredients to look for in lipsticks include (but are not limited to):
- Copernicia Cerifera wax
- Diisostearyl malate
- Glycine soja
- Oleyl oleate
- Synthetic wax
- Theobroma cacao
- Tocopherol acetate (vitamin E; rare to be found in first 5)
As for the main ingredient in Burberry Lip Cover Lipstick, that is Polyglyceryl-2 tetraisostearate, an emulsifier, which enables water and oil-based ingredients to mix better. The rest of the top 5 ingredients are not all that moisturizing either, including Polybutene, Octyldodecanol, Hydrogenated Polydecene, and Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate.
I mean, yes, Burberry Lip Cover Lipstick does contain palmitoyl oligopeptide, which has been shown to stimulate collagen production in human fibroblasts, as shown in a 2007 study in Dermatologic Therapy. This may keep lips firmer over time. So yes, I do give Burberry Lip Cover Lipstick credit for being an anti-aging formula, technically. But would I say it’s a superior moisturizing formulation? No.
Medium Pigmentation, Medium Finish, Smooth Texture, Not Durable, No Flavor
Lack of moisturizing benefits aside, Burberry Lip Cover Lipstick has a fair amount of pigmentation. It is not sheer but not as bold as many colors out there – a desirable medium for most women. The color also builds.
The product has a finish that is neither shiny nor matte. If you prefer a glossy look like I do, add a gloss over top.
The texture is smooth, and the formula glides easily over the lips.
It is not very durable. I have to reapply every 2-3 hours.
There is no flavor. It’s a little reminscent of Lancôme lipsticks, with their bit of a waxy taste.
Burberry Lip Cover Lipstick has amazing packaging: from the sleek metal designer case to the imprint of the Burberry plaid all over the lipstick itself, it’s hard for the high fashion-loving woman to pass by. With that said, the formula is not superior – smooth but drying to the lips, medium-pigmented but tastes a little waxy.
If you’re into appearances alone, the packaging and sophisticated array of colors make Burberry Lip Cover Lipstick a buy. If you’re more into moisturizing and lip-beneficial formulas, Burberry Lip Cover Lipstick is definitely a pass-by!
Lipstick Rating: 7/10
- Shades available: 30
- Pigmentation: Medium, can build
- Finish: Neither shiny nor matte
- Texture: Smooth
- Durability: Low (reapply every 2-3 hours) (-1 point)
- Packaging: Amazing. Beautiful case and design on the lipstick. Hard to beat.
- Flavor: None, a bit waxy (-1 point)
- Anti-aging ingredients: Yes, palmitoyl oligopeptide
- Sunscreen: None (-1 point)
- Animal testing: None
Ingredients: Polyglyceryl-2 Tetraisostearate, Polybutene, Octyldodecanol, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Polyethylene, Ethyhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Polyglyceryl-3 Beeswax, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Synthetic Wax, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Stearalkonium Bentonite, Parfum (Fragrance), Propylene Carbonate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Tribehenin, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-DI-t-Butyl PEG-10 Rapeseed Sterol, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Silica Tin Oxide, Alpha-Isomethylionone, Benzyl Benzoate, Hydroxycitronellal, [+/-(May Contain): CI 77019 (Mica), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491, CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 75470 (Carmine), CI 73360 (Red 30 Lake), CI 45410 (Red 27 Lake, Red 28 Lake), CI 42090 (Blue 1 Lake), CI 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake), CI 15985 (Yellow 6 Lake), CI 15850 (Red 6, Red 7, Red 7 Lake).
Related articles on FutureDerm you may enjoy!
- 31Are you into high-end fashion as well as scientifically-proven beauty products? Do you have to own the latest and greatest, the very best of what's new? If yes, then the new Exude lipgloss ($29.00, ExudeLipstick.com) is the one for you. I know I sound like walking advertisement, but it's not everyday I receive such a revolutionary…
- 30I have a secret. I am obsessed with my lips and lip products. I still remember the first lip gloss I owned. It was clear with a tint of blue and in a clear glass bottle. It smelled like bubble gum, yet had no flavor. The applicator consisted of a plastic ball and my fingers.…
- 30About the author: Phyrra is a makeup expert and our weekly in-depth Cosmetics Writer. For more, please visit her blog at Phyrra.net. Last year I fell in love with the Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Stick line. They've got a matte finish, so they're a nice contrast from a lot of the super sparkly lipsticks…