Should You Use Milk of Magnesia on Your Skin?: The Internet Rumor, Researched

milk-of-magnesia-primer

You always hear beauty gurus say that Milk of Magnesia (MOM), an OTC antacid and laxative, can secretly double as a life-saving foundation primer or mask for those with oily skin types. But does using Milk of Magnesia actually work to absorbing facial oil? And are there any drawbacks to this off-label use?

What Is Milk of Magnesia’s Original Purpose? Ingredients and Importance

In its unflavored and most widely-used form, magnesium hydroxide (Mg(OH)2) is the active ingredient, accompanied by water and sodium hypochlorite (NaClO) (1).

Mg(OH)2 acts as an antacid (to counter something like stomach ulcers) via neutralization: Mg(OH)2 will dissociate in water, and the basic hydroxide ions (OH-) will combine with the acidic hydrogen ions (H+) in stomach acid to form water. Hence, neutralization.

As a laxative, Mg(OH)2 relies on the magnesium ions (Mg2+) that form upon dissociation. Because these ions aren’t largely absorbed by the intestinal tract, they will draw water from the surrounding tissues, which will increase the water content of the intestinal tract, resulting in softer and more “passable” fecal matter. Mg2+ ions also cause the release of a compound called cholecystokinin, which similarly results in higher levels of water, electrolytes, and intestinal movement (2).

The other ingredient of importance is sodium hypochlorite (NaClO), otherwise known as bleach. It is in very low concentration and acts as a pH adjuster or buffer. When dissolved in water, NaClO will slowly decompose, releasing chlorine, oxygen and sodium hydroxide.

The reaction of this process is: 4 NaClO + 2 H2O → 4 NaOH +2 *Cl2 +O2.

*Keep in mind that the rate of decomposition is extremely slow, so the amount of chlorine gas emitted will probably be negligent. However, it’s best to not inhale bleach for any sustained periods of time.

Milk of Magnesia in Skin Care and Makeup

milk-of-magnesia-makeup

Milk of magnesia does indeed has some ability to absorb surface lipids on the skin. Though not many studies have been specifically designed to test this concept, one study suggests that Mg(OH)2 works better than magnesia or magnesium oxide (MgO) at facilitating the absorption and separation of wax and stearyl esters, which are similar to compounds found in sebum (3). While this is far from conclusive, it does give some weight to the efficacy of MOM as a “degreaser.”

Furthermore, what little of the bleach content is present, can further “degrease” the skin. As a strong oxidizer, bleach can cause defatting or the chemical dissolution of surface lipids (4), resulting in less oil on the skin.

Are There Are Drawbacks?

Clearly, the most obvious drawback is that Milk of Magnesia is quite alkaline — as are its two main ingredients magnesium hydroxide (Mg(OH)2) and sodium hypochlorite (NaClO). MOM has an overall pH of 10.5, while sodium hydroxide (NaOH), as seen above in the chemical reaction has an astonishingly high pH of 14 (5)!

When the skin is at a basic pH, all kinds of problems related to impaired skin can manifest, such as contact dermatitis, increased acne (since a basic pH interferes with regular desquamation and allows for bacteria proliferation), and many others. That's because Milk of Magnesia disrupts the acid mantal that helps to serve as a protective barrier.

With consistent use, MOM can seriously wreck your skin!

What Do I Do Instead of Milk of Magnesia?!

Relax. If you’ve been applying MOM to the skin, just discontinue use. If you’re bummed out because something so promising isn’t actually so, don’t worry! There are other (better) ways to deal with oily skin, ranging from something as complicated as oral isotretinoin, to something as simple as a pressed powder. There are too many to identify, describe, and analyze! Therefore, keeping in line with this post, here are a few topical “cosmetic” absorbents that can easily replace MOM:

hourglass-mineral-veil-primer
  1. The Smashbox Anti-Shine ($28.50, amazon.com) contains a similar, but less basic, compound magnesium aluminum silicate, to absorb excess facial oil. I have personally tried this and it’s quite effective, although you may have some difficulty obtaining it in-stores. For some reason, both Nordstrom and Sephora have pulled it from their shelves. The texture is a slightly thick paste- or spackle-like gel that’s excellent for filling in pores, and can be applied underneath or on top of makeup and/or sunscreen.
  2. The Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer ($52.00, amazon.com) contains the powerful absorbents, isododecane and alumina. Furthermore, it contains a gentle mineral-based sunscreen wrapped up in an elegant silicone base, whose texture is simply divine! While pricey, I always have one of these on hand. It’s best used underneath or mixed with makeup and/or sunscreen.
  3. The OC Eight Professional Mattifying Gel ($27.73, amazon.com) contains a patented type of acrylate copolymer that allegedly forms "micro-particles that trap facial oils.” While the concept and marketing are impressive, I have yet to try this and therefore, cannot give a wholehearted recommendation.
  4. The Paula’s Choice Shine Stopper ($22) also contains a type of (meth)acrylate crosspolymer, in addition to a small amount of the absorbent present in the Smashbox Anti-Shine, magnesium aluminum silicate. Coincidentally, the textures of both are also quite similar. Likewise, they perform about the same for my very oily skin type. You’ll want to be careful with these two products, as using too much will cause them to ball up and make a mess.

Ultimately, my personal Holy Grail product is the Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer because it really extends the wear-time of anything I apply over it by a few hours. It also provides decent UVA and UVB protection, which coupled with its silky, water-light texture, makes it a perfect mixing medium for my regular sunscreen.

Bottom Line

Milk of Magnesia does have some ingredients that allow it to absorb oil in the short term. However, it's very, very akaline, which is a big no-no in skin care. Alkaline products can damage skin after just one use. And the damage is cumulative; keep using it and it will get worse. Instead, try some foundations formulated specifically to help oily skin.

Have YOU tried MOM before? Let me know what you think in the comments!

Links/References:

About the author: John Su is an established skin care expert and aspiring dermatologist. He also runs a blog, The Triple Helix Liaison, dedicated to providing unbiased, meaningful, and insightful information about skin care.

Love Our Expert Advice? Then You'll Love FutureDerm's Expert Products!

FutureDerm Time-Release Retinol 0.5 FutureDerm Time-Release Retinol 0.5
The best retinol serum you've ever tried. We guarantee it.
FutureDerm Skin Reborn Facial Cleanser 8.31 FutureDerm Skin Reborn Facial Cleanser 8.31
A cleanser that feels like a serum!
FutureDerm Gift Set - Vitamin CE serum and time-release retinol

FutureDerm Skin Reborn Gift Set
One bottle of FutureDerm Vitamin CE Caffeic Silk Serum 16+2 (use in the morning) and one bottle of FutureDerm Time-Release Retinol 0.5 (use at night).

FutureDerm Time-Release Retinol 0.5 Triple Set Discount

FutureDerm Time-Release Retinol 0.5 - Triple Set
Get our best-selling retinol cream at a discount when you buy three at a time!

Similar Posts You Might Enjoy...

Can I Use a Primer as a Moisturizer?

Does Makeup Primer Stop Bacteria From Getting into Pores?

Incredible for Oily Skin: Boscia Detoxifying Black Cleanser

What are the Best Primers for Oily/Acne-Prone Skin?

Amala Blue Lotus Purifying Mattifier Review: Keep the Oily Skin at Bay

*Editor's Note: This post contains affiliate links.

By: John Su
Date: July 12 2012 at 5:57 AM
antacids, best skin care, Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer, milk of magnesia, natural home remedies debunked, Skin Care, paulas choice, milk of magnesia primer

1. Melinda Holmes
    July 12 2012 at 7:01 AM

I actually tried MOM as a primer for my oily sensitive skin, but didn't like it. I use Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel as a primer and find that it works very well.

2. Jody
    July 12 2012 at 7:02 AM

What about Monistat chafing gel? I've heard some people use that on their face too as a primer.

3. Nicholas
    July 12 2012 at 7:07 AM

Paula Begoun has been promoting the use of Milk of Magnesia for years. Kind of makes you question her recommendations somewhat.

4. John
    July 12 2012 at 11:28 AM

@Melinda Thomas That's good, since it's very affordable. :)

5. John
    July 12 2012 at 11:31 AM

@Jody Since the Monistat Gel is designed for topical application and doesn't include high amounts of any basic-yielding solutes, the pH should be about neutral. Get some pH paper and you can test it yourself. I personally am not a fan of it, since it's similar in texture to the Smashbox original Photo Finish primer. It's so super slick, as to feel greasy. And it doesn't contain any real absorbents; it's most made up of silicones and a tiny bit of silica I believe. It doesn't extend wear-time for me, but again if it works for you, yay! Oh, and it really accentuates any dry skin, which is not good for me. :(

6. John
    July 12 2012 at 11:33 AM

@Nicholas Yeah I suppose. But everyone, including myself, makes mistakes. Paula is usually right, and I love her vision of trying to raise awareness on actual skin care facts to the general public. But like I said, everyone makes mistakes. That's why it's important to always seek a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th opinion from credible sources.

7. Karen Stauss
    August 11 2012 at 5:29 PM

I have tried MoM and found it worked great... for about 3 days. On the 4th day my skin decided it was smarter than the MoM and was even oilier that it had been before. I like Peter Thomas Roth's Anti Shine Mattifying Gel and DermaDoctor's TeaseZone.

8. Arlon Barbieri
    August 20 2012 at 4:33 PM

@Nicholas Paula Begoun no longer recommends milk of magnesia. Someone questioned this at Paula's Choice facebook page and here is the answer: "We no longer recommend Milk of Magnesia as a regular-use product, and haven't for some time due to its high PH level. That aside, in today's skin care market there are other formulas of which have similar benefits while being friendly to daily use (our upcoming new formula of the Skin Balancing Oil-Absorbing Mask is a good example!). However, to use for special occasions, the Milk of Magnesia mask is an OK thing to do!"

9. Luanne
    October 12 2012 at 6:12 AM

Any opinions on using MOM as a deodorant?? I've heard so many use it for that and love it. Does that have any negative effect long term with the PH levels or absorbed through the skin?

10. John Su
    October 12 2012 at 6:45 AM

@Karen Stauss I'm glad to hear that you found something that works for you. Thanks for sharing!

11. John Su
    October 12 2012 at 6:46 AM

@Arlon Barbieri That's good to hear. Thankfully she stopped doing that.

12. John Su
    October 12 2012 at 7:04 AM

@Luanne I think the use of MOM as a deoderant should be fine and not have any long-term negative side effect. Here's why: While the high pH may increase the risks of bacterial or fungal infections, the reduced amount of perspiration from the use of MOM may actually result in an overall or net loss of sweat, resulting in an overall reduction in terms of getting a bacterial or fungal infection (since bacteria and fungi love moist and dark areas). Basically, what I mean is that the net loss of perspiration has a more meaningful positive effect than the change in pH, which has a comparatively smaller negative effect. As for absorption, the skin of the armpit is a bit thicker than that of the various areas of the face, so this shouldn't be a problem. However, as with all things, if you notice something isn't quite right after using MOM, discontinue use of it to see if that makes your problem goes away. I hope that made sense and thanks for commenting. :)

13. Sânziene si Mătrăgună
    October 30 2012 at 10:16 PM

@John Su - the last reply (@Luanne) makes me think that my home made sodium bicarbonate based deodorant (I use this for several years now) is indeed a good idea :) The main challenge is to find a fine enough sodium bicarbonate in order not to scratch the skin :)

14. John Su
    October 31 2012 at 9:17 AM

@Sânziene si Mătrăgună Good call! Happy Halloween!

15. Partiallyclaudy
    December 27 2012 at 9:21 PM

What if I used an acidic toner such as Apple Cider Vinegar before applying the Milk of Magnesia? Would that help neutralize things a bit?

16. John Su
    December 28 2012 at 2:22 PM

@Simona (Sânziene si Mătrăgună) Glad to hear it! @Partiallyclaudy It would certainly help counteract it. But is MoM really worth going through all that trouble? Not to mention that ACV doesn't have any particularly good benefit for the skin. :( But hey, you work with what you have right? Furthermore, I'm not sure MoM will function in the same way if it's naturally-high pH becomes neutralized. It may not be as effective at absorbing oil afterwards.

17. AwwRITE!
    January 9 2013 at 12:51 PM

I haven't had success with the Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer--I think my skin is simply too oily. I recently bought the Guerlain Parure Extreme foundation, which is supposed to have primer built in, but even that can't keep my face from oiling up within a few hours (yuck). Have you tested any other primers lately that you would recommend?

18. AwwRITE!
    January 9 2013 at 1:15 PM

Also, would you consider writing a post on how to keep skin ph-balanced? I just read the term "acid mantle" on a different site and it seems like a topic that a lot of people would be interested in learning about!

19. John Su
    January 10 2013 at 8:15 AM

@AwwRITE! Hm, did you try any of the other primers listed in this post? Also, as someone with super oily skin too, you'll want to combat your oil production via different sources. For example, in addition to a good primer (something that I don't use on a daily basis actually), use an oil-controlling foundation and a similar setting powder. You may want to check out this post for more information: http://www.futurederm.com/2012/11/08/my-top-liquid-face-makeup-products-from-sephora/ I have also have tried the Guerlain Extreme, and I prefer the Lancome Teint Idole 24H by far. Maybe try that? Finally, as for the pH-balanced thing, the skin is naturally acidic. And to keep it that way, you'll want to avoid alkaline cleansers like soaps, and use hydroxy acids. And I may do a post on what an "acid mantle" is exactly. But it's not an actual structure in the skin so-to-speak. It's just a term that's been coined to represent the acidity of the skin. I hope that all helps. :)

20. AwwRITE!
    January 11 2013 at 7:46 AM

I think I've tried all the big-name primers out there (mostly through free samples from Sephora) and none of them really help for more than an hour or two. I only just learned that my skin is supposed to be at a ph of 4.5-5.5 and that if I'm using a product that is too alkaline, my skin reacts and eventually becomes more oily. I think if I pay attention to the ph balance of some of the products I use, I can help repair some of the damage I've been inadvertently causing. After changing a few things around in my product routine to align with this concept of not making my skin too alkaline, I've noticed that my skin is not producing as much oil and seems to be calmer, so maybe I won't need to find a new primer after all (or maybe the ones that other people like will start to work on me). We shall see.

21. John Su
    January 11 2013 at 12:59 PM

@AwwRITE! Well, an acidic pH doesn't really contribute to oil production. However, this pH range (roughly) is necessary for the skin to naturally and optimally exfoliate and maintain its barrier. So using too alkaline products can make your skin go haywire, which includes congestion and the appearance of more oil. :( So yeah, definitely use a well-formulated hydroxy acid product in your regular routine. My favorites are from Paula's Choice. Consider reading this post: http://www.futurederm.com/2012/05/17/hydroxy-acids-part-iv-the-best-hydroxy-acid-product-reviews-and-recommendations-of-all-time/ Good luck!

22. Anna
    February 4 2013 at 12:37 AM

ACV isn't good for the skin? Where have you been? ACV works like a toner, exfoliant & acne defense product. When diluted, it can also balance the pH. The same can be said about MOM, with proper dilution it can benefit the skin especially considering the fact that alot of primers already contain magnesium in their base formulas. The key is moderation of course. It can be placed in a glycerin base or water solution with a 1:3 ratio so that the pH is neutralized like the magnesium in most primers. Tap water is best as it's pH is more acidic than purified water. This is an effective way to save money using things already at your disposal. Don't let the beauty industry who has alot of money to lose tell you not to use home products that are cheaper & easily accessible without first seeking an unbiased opinion from someone with medical background.....like the dermatologists who have recommended or endorsed things like ACV or MOM for years. MOM especially has been promoted for skin use such as combating seborrhea, baby rash, and canker sores. It sounds backwards for someone to say that an inexpensive treatment can wreak havoc on your skin but then turn around & promote silica based, paraben loaded, chemically formulated & carcinogenic products that cost an arm & a leg. I'd rather risk bacterial breakouts than be susceptible to cancer. But we can't be extremists. So rather than substitute a potentially harmful product for a potentially even more harmful product, why not remedy the issue. I think prepping a concentrated toner of ACV & then a concentrated primer of MOM would be too much pH disassociation for the skin. Dilute both & your skin will thank you for it. While we're on the topic of ACV, here's an M.D. endorsed article on uses for ACV in skincare: http://www.livestrong.com/article/128444-benefits-apple-cider-vinegar-facial/

23. John Su
    February 4 2013 at 2:59 PM

@Anna Well if you must ask, I've been in Oz... Lol. Perhaps ACV works for you, but regardless, it just doesn't have much research documenting its efficacy. I mean even most essential oils have more research behind them, and I don't believe in THOSE. Yes, ACV may act as a "toner," (though toners aren't really necessary for the antiquated purpose of balancing the skin's pH), as there are plenty of excellent water-soluble and pH-appropriate cleansers these days. As an exfoliant, maybe ACV does work. But hydroxy acids work significantly better than ACV and have much better peer-reviewed documentation supporting topical use. Same for the treatment of acne and "balancing the skin's pH." And as for dermatologists recommending ACV... does that mean everything recommended by a dermatologist is good? Think of it like this: there are plenty of poor products and dermatologist-created skin care lines that are similarly recommended. However, keep in mind that just because one or even a few dermatologists recommend something, doesn't automatically prove something's efficacy. Why not depend on something that has published research? That way, it'll be peer-reviewed (meaning that a LOT of established dermatologists affirm the subject(s) of a particular study)! Also, as someone who has seborrhoeic dermatitis, I can tell you that MOM and ACV have done nothing for me; in fact they worsen the condition. But does that mean they're completely useless? Nope. My personal and singular experience doesn't prove or disprove anything. And FYI, there's nothing wrong with silica or parabens. Just because you haven't read up on the research, doesn't mean they deserve to be condemned or feared. Ultimately, I can't convince you to change your ways if you're not willing to see reason. And that's okay. We all do what we think is right, right? P.S. I'm not going to even mention Livestrong and how it "proves" ACV's efficacy... Why don't you just type in "Apple Cider Vinegar" into www.pubmed.com, and see what comes up?

24. cookie
    March 22 2013 at 5:47 AM

What about those applying MoM on their skin for rosacea? I've heard that the reason people have it may have something to do with their bodies having too much alkalinity, allowing for the proliferation of demodex in the pores. Would applying something basic help this or is it still a bad idea?

25. John Su
    March 22 2013 at 10:06 AM

@cookie Actually, MoM would do the opposite because it's so basic. Keep in mind that basic and alkaline are the same thing. :) A higher skin pH will allow for additional bacterial, fungal, and other infections; a more acidic pH is what inhibits this type of proliferation. Does that make sense?

26. Hyspin
    April 16 2013 at 6:05 AM

John Su the only info they have on ACV med scape on skin is an anti microbial and should not be used on inflamed skin (that would include dermatitis and eczema), otherwise ther isn't really any research for or against apple cider vinegar as a topical treatment. But apparently new research shows that it may be good source to reduce glucous levels. Also we must not forget that what may not work for you, may work for others each subject must be treated on a case to case bases. I think if MOM diluted as mask followed by rinse of water or ACV works for some, why knock it. But as you said ACV isn't necessary as a toner because skin will return to regular pH on its own. Which begs the question knowing that fact, how harmful could MOM really be if the skin will auto adjust afterward anyway? I actually curious about that. What is the average time it takes for the skin adjust back to its correct pH after a alkaline cleanser any way?

27. John Su
    April 17 2013 at 5:57 AM

@Hyspin Well, I never said that ACV is awful. If you'd like to use that on your skin, go for it. All I'm saying is that hydroxy acids are significantly better than ACV in terms of the amount of research and efficacy. See my response to @Anna above for more details. As for MOM, THAT really isn't great for the skin. It's a highly documented fact that an increased pH of the skin increases chances of microbial proliferation, reduced barrier repair, and irregular exfoliation. Many cutaneous conditions like eczema, various forms of dermatitis, and even acne are actually characterized by a higher than normal pH of the skin. Okay, if you want to dilute it, again that is your prerogative. But then you're reducing efficacy, and then in the end, what's the point? And yes, your skin will "auto-adjust," its intrinsic PH, but that is dependent on how basic/acidic the cleanser is, which will influence how well and how long it takes for the skin to do so. There is no measured "average" time, just because there is so many factors (like length of time, cleanser pH, cleanser formulation, the individual's skin type and pH, the rest of the skin care routine, etc...) that will influence any attempt to calculate such a number. Does that all make sense?

28. Niella
    July 4 2013 at 1:24 PM

What if it's used every once in awhile for dandruff/oily scalp relief?

29. John Su
    July 5 2013 at 5:21 AM

@Niella When used occasionally, it shouldn't cause any noticeable harm to the scalp or the condition itself. But then again, it wouldn't really treat the condition either.

30. Katrina
    July 6 2013 at 8:47 PM

I just recently just bought milk of magnesia, today actually.I was so convinced by reviews I had seen on YouTube. I tried it today and I really like it.. But now that I read this I don't know how I should keep using it. Because my skin is really oily, I tried everything I can, and I'm really bummed about how oily I get even just at after an hour after putting foundation on. So if I keep continuing MOM, my skin will just become worst? I also see a dermatologist occasionally for the last 5 years.. And I don't know if I should ask her about MOM. I haven't gone to the dermatologist for about a year now so I will be going back to get prescribed more cream for my acne. Also my dad side of my family, has a history of acne prone skin.

31. John Su
    July 7 2013 at 5:11 PM

@Katrina Well, like I said in the post, there are other products to combat oiliness. However, if you think you've exhausted your options, consider applying something like a salicylic acid moisturizer/primer that has an appropriately low pH underneath the MoM, just to help offset any potential changes in pH. That way, you'll get the benefits of salicylic acid--something that's great for your acne-prone skin, along with the benefits of MoM.

32. Kat
    July 10 2013 at 5:27 AM

The best thing I have ever tried for my oily skin is the Rice product line from L'OCCITANE. Try their Ultra-Matte Face Fluid it is the absolute best!

33. John Su
    July 10 2013 at 5:48 AM

@Kat Ooh, it looks pretty promising, though the essential oil content does warrant caution. It's up to the individual whether or not that characteristic is tolerable--meaning if any irritation is experienced. But I'm glad to hear that it is so for you, and that oily skin isn't much of an issue you have to deal with anymore! :)

34. Kaitlyn
    July 14 2013 at 11:11 AM

MoM is terrible for your skin-too bad estheticians are taught to use it! MoM is is as a base for many skin packs. This article exposes itself when it merely skims the surface of why it is so bad for you, citing only the pH. It goes on to recommend expensive primers which rely heavily on silicones are certainly not good for skin-not to mention being useless on oily/very oily skin.. As a long term MoM user I can tell you it has not caused worsening-it has knocked out my cystic acne and whiteheads, as well as lessening the blackheads. Try BishonnenRancher on YT for a more in depth look into MoM.

35. John Su
    July 18 2013 at 2:26 PM

@Kaitlyn Yeah, I looked up that video you mentioned. Almost everything she says is wrong when read in context. I mean, she uses osmosis to describe the movement of facial oil. Sorry, that's completely wrong. Osmosis describes the diffusion of water... She also states that the skin needs to be basic--something that MoM does, in order to neutralize the acidity of the skin and the alleged "acid" components of acne-causing bacteria. Again, sorry that's wrong. The skin is supposed to be acidic--many conditions like acne exhibit a HIGHER pH of the skin than normal. Bacteria do not release components that increase the acidity of the skin. Why do you think hydroxy acids work to treat the skin? By exfoliating the skin, AND lowering the overall acidity--something that helps the skin to naturally exfoliate more efficiently. She also states that the magnesium ions that form in solution will help improve acne. There is no published research that suggests this, not to mention that ions have a difficult time penetrating the stratum corneum because it's a charged molecule. Very little if any, will take part in active transport. Finally, forgive me if I don't take skin care advice from someone (Rancher) with obvious tan lines. I'm glad that MoM has worked for you, but to recommend it as a treatment option for everyone, is ludicrous.

36. Angie
    August 30 2013 at 11:14 PM

John, Thank you for taking the time to write about skincare from an academic and scientific perspective!

The best system we have, for information that most closely resembles facts, is from peer reviewed journals.

Based on this post alone, John has taken a significant amount of time to research and respond to anyone who posts a question. He is using information from pubmed.com, which only publishes studies that have gone through the rigorous peer review system.

The peer review system is a network of accredited Universities and Colleges, with agreed upon scientific standards for research, such as studies using the "double blind, placebo-control group" design to avoid bias, and through the power of statistics to gain an accurate understanding of a large population when only a sample size is feasible. Furthermore, those critical principles are held accountable through a rigorous review process where each study is evaluated by many high ranking professors from numerous universities around the world.

37. blanc
    August 31 2013 at 12:50 AM

38. Yenny
    September 4 2013 at 2:35 PM

This is very disappointing, after trying the products on this list my skin was still too oily. Not to mention being super expensive as well, MOM has been the only thing that has stopped my skin from shining like a disco ball by midday.

Though I'm curious as to why MOM seems to work so well on my, I think I'll just have to keep using it in the meantime til I find a replacement.

39. William
    September 20 2013 at 2:27 AM

I'm a guy, and I have a very oily t zone during the day and it's driving me nuts.. I found out milk of magnesia on YouTube would help, but I did my research about it and found this article and I'm convinced; seeing how the MOM is very alkaline, which isn't good for the skin in the long run, so I decided to skip MOM.. Thanks for the alternative links.. The hourglass one sure is expensive!! I'm going to give OC 8 a shot..

40. Michelle
    September 22 2013 at 12:29 AM

Well, I use MoM on rare occasions. It does work very well at reducing oil and shine. I'm disappointed to hear this news. Tomorrow I'm going to go to a concert and wearing this for the last time. I think these primers are very expensive and probably full of silicons and chemicals that can't be any better than MoM, but I'll look into more organic ones that might be beneficial to my oily skin.

41. Dee
    November 25 2013 at 12:02 PM

I have very oily skin and break out at the age of 40 constantly.

How can you tell that AHAs are better than ACV? I mean if there isn't the research to back it up doesn't mean that AHAs are better, it just means that no one has done the research. And most likely hasn't done the research because it won't make them any money.

On a more natural front for something that is more acidic you could use cream of tartar (tartaric acid from wine), or milk (lactic acid), apples to include cider (malic acid) or even honey. Here is a drop down list under each tab which shows the pH of different foods. http://www.aeonmagazine.com/altered-states/would-dabbling-in-cranial-stimulation-make-me-smarter/?utm_source=Aeon%20newsletter&utm_campaign=a5db18c94f-Daily_Newsletter_November_22_201311_22_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_411a82e59d-a5db18c94f-68626925

What about witchazel for an astringent? Or Calamine lotion it's about 5 bucks for a bottle and camphor oil for about 2 bucks. One could even add a few drops of glycerin? Or instead of camphor oil I might use tea tree oil. Or would you prefer Mario Badescu's drying lotion?

42. gu2
    February 12 2014 at 9:14 AM

i am so disappointed to hear this, ive been using MOM for the past week and I have to say it works great. I have extremely oily skin and I have tried EVERYTHING but nothing has ever worked this well on my face. I LOVE IT!!!!!