Do Vitamin C and Sodium Benzoate Together Form a Carcinogen?

vitamin c and sodium benzoate form benzene Submitted via the FutureDerm.com Facebook page:

Do vitamin C and sodium benzoate form a carcinogen?  I read that somewhere, but I wanted to ask you if it was true. -T

Dear T, Without careful examination, this looks like a story worthy of the front page of The New York Times!  Vitamin C and sodium benzoate (a preservative) will together form benzene, which has been associated with causing cancer (International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health, 2007).  For the ultra-scientific, benzene is associated with causing DNA strand breaks, and high levels of exposure have been associated with acute myeloid leukemia (AML), aplastic anemia, myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS), acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), and chronic myeloid leukemia (CML).(Annual Review of Public Health, 2010). However, most beauty products contain sodium benzoate in extremely low concentrations - parts per billion or less. Still, considering the fact that soft drinks also contain very low amounts of benzoates, and 2.5% of 200 soft drinks with vitamin C and sodium benzoate were found to have levels of benzene above allowable levels (FDA, 2007), there is still the moot possibility that some skin care and cosmetics could contain benzene.  So here is what to do:

How to Protect Yourself

benzene forms from vitamin c and sodium benzoate High amounts of vitamin C + a high pH (above 3) = significantly reduced benzene production!
Chemical reactions are a lot like meeting a potential partner:  The conditions matter.  Just like dim lighting, a fancy restaurant, and a dozen roses can flip that nerd from accounting from the "friend zone", so can quantities of chemicals, temperature, and the pH make a world of difference with a chemical reaction. Such is the case with vitamin C and sodium benzoate. Benzene does not form at all if you use beauty products with a very high concentration of vitamin C and a low concentration of sodium benzoate (AIB International, 2006).   Why?  Increasing amounts of vitamin C cause for it to act as a free radical scavenger rather than in the sodium benzoate reaction.  (Look at it this way:  Your date offers to take you to a restaurant you despise, and you would have a bad reaction.  But if he offers to take you to the Academy Awards instead, you have a better option, and you'd do that instead.) Products formulated with a pH of 3 or above are also safer than those with a pH of 2 or less (AIB International, 2006).  And above a pH of 7, no benzene forms at all.  This is unfortunate, because it leaves vitamin C formulations a very narrow window of pH 3.0 to 3.5 to work with, as vitamin C has been shown to work best at a pH of 3.5 or lower (Dermatologic Surgery, 2008). So you won't catch me using vitamin C products in non-acidic form, even if they don't form benzene with benzoates/benzoic acid.  Instead, I simply use concentrated vitamin C products, and I avoid sodium benzoate and benzoic acid together with vitamin C.

Bottom Line

benzene and vitamin c and benzoic acid Protect yourself and still maintain efficacy of vitamin C by using products with: a.) high vitamin C; b.) no benzoic acid or benzoates; c.) storing your beauty products in a cool, dark place.
In short, using a product with high concentrations of vitamin C should eliminate the vast majority of benzene formation. Other options include using parabens (which are safe in skin care and cosmetics) instead of preservative systems like sodium benzoate and benzoic acid, both of which form benzene with vitamin C; and keeping your beauty products in a cool, dark place, as higher temperatures and light incite the reaction to benzene (AIB International, 2006). But let me get on my soapbox for just a minute - this is what the problem is with society's general distrust of skin care and cosmetics ingredients nowadays.  Databases are automatically flagging studies about parabens.  And despite the fact that I have never spoken to a dermatologist or cosmetic scientist who does not approve parabens for anyone who is non-allergic, the non-scientifically-trained public is demanding products without parabens.  As a result, some manufacturers are using benzoic acid and benzoates instead - and guess what.  They're an actual problem!  At least, they are when combined with vitamin C. *sigh* So, for now, avoid products with benzoic acid and benzoates, especially when using vitamin C.

Date: September 2 2012 at 4:57 PM
Uncategorized

1. Aprill
    September 2 2012 at 5:48 PM

So is it safe to assume that products that do not contain Parabens, contain Benzoates as a substitution?

2. Nicki Zevola
    September 2 2012 at 6:03 PM

Hi @Aprill! Substitutes for parabens include: *Organic acids, like benzoic acid, or benzoates, or benzethonium chloride *Sodium hydroxymethylglycinate (HMG) *Hydantoins *Certain alcohols, like phenoxyethanol (common) *Diazolidinyl urea *Combinations of acids and alcohols Quite frankly, I hope that this whole issue resolves itself with parabens. No manufacturer uses them above 0.25% now, so I don't understand why there is this much of a controversy still lingering. They are only shown to be harmful in extremely high doses, and they are eliminated from the body in 36 hours. Introducing these alternative preservative systems is not helping and is actually furthering suspicion of the beauty industry/ingredients.

3. Leah Argento
    September 3 2012 at 6:26 AM

Thanks Nicki! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the ability to pass on ACCURATE and TRUTHFUL information about parabens to spa professionals and ultimately consumers. XO

4. RJ
    September 3 2012 at 8:55 AM

Regarding preservatives, all I keep hearing is how they're all bad, so I do appreciate your post. Have you read studies that showed parabens being found in breast cancer masses in women? This is what made me stray away at first, but I understand that can be from packaged food. I'd like to know though what preservatives are safe for you? I know you mentioned above that phenoxyethanol is a sub for parabens, but "The product's Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) says that it phenoxyethanol is harmful if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through the skin and that it can cause reproductive damage." Some studies show it being unsafe in even small doses. So one day it's Sodium Benzoate and the next it's something else. It's getting harder to make educated decisions regarding skin care now.

5. Intelligent Consumer
    January 13 2014 at 11:13 PM

Phenoxyethanol is harmful to human biology, full stop. It acts like typical indiscriminate antibiotics that kill good microbes along with the "bad" as in "spoilage" microbes. Which manufacturer doesn't want a long shelf life product and higher profit margin.

Sodium Benzoate is a lesser evil compared to phenoxyethanol. The focus is on Ascorbic Acid presence. But sodium benzoate also reacts with other forms of acids, in acidic envioronment, increased heat/ light/ oxygen/ metal ions, that are everywhere - on our skin, in our hair, in the tap water we mix our sodium benzoate laden shampoo, shaving cream, conditioner, face lotion, hair styling products...

Manufacturers and so-called scientists love to say "more benzene in apples/plums than my product.." "more phenoxyethanol in flowers than my lotion", trying to muddy the scientific fact that the synthetic compounds in isolate form ARE NOT THE SAME as the natural compounds found in plants.

However they spin it, I will stop buying any food, toiletry and beauty products with these two ANTI-human-biological-balance preservatives in them.

6. Nicki Zevola
    January 15 2014 at 7:02 PM

@Intelligent Consumer -

I don't mind phenoxyethanol, as it has been shown effective against bacteria and fungi, whereas most paraben alternatives are only effective against fungi.

But I am curious as to where you heard phenoxyethanol kills "good" microbes as well as the bad. Do you mind leading me to the source? I am not asking to argue or refute your point, only to learn more and perhaps sometime have an intellectual debate about it.