Yesterday, I got into a car accident. I was traveling up a hill, around a blind bend. Just a regular Thursday, off to a meeting, at 7:45 AM.
Next thing I knew, a car had collided into mine, and I was overcome with fear.
I’m fine – my neck doesn’t bend right, and my shoulder hurts quite a bit – but for all medical accounts and purposes, I’m OK.
I’m a big believer in frequencies. Our thoughts, our words, our actions – everything and everyone is tied together. Take this scene from one of my favorite movies, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button:
Some people believe that only certain things matter, but I disagree. Some things matter more than others, but in truth, everything matters somewhat. We may spend all week preparing for a big meeting, presentation, or test, but in reality, we also need to pay attention to how we interact with others and take care of ourselves and keep our homes and workplaces clean. If not, at the end of the week, we may get the result we desired, but we’re also left with another week’s worth of patching matters up at home, working out or dieting extra, and cleaning up doubletime. And then we might lose the important client or get behind on the new material in class anyway.
Growing up, my mother was great at picking up the pieces whenever I had a big exam or presentation coming up. She’d understand if I was short with her, cook the meals, and excuse my messiness.
But as an adult, I’m learning it’s not just about getting the results. It’s just as much about how you do it. It really is not so much the destination as the journey: After all, you’re not a great success, even if you sign a multi-million dollar account, if being stressed out makes you be needlessly short with a waitress serving you coffee. You’re not living with your best life if you get a 100% on an important exam but you gain five pounds being sedentary and eating microwaveable meals to get there.
It’s about learning how to take care of yourself and your life simultaneously. I’m still working on this myself. But this accident made me realize: Regardless of whose fault it was, I need to take some deep breaths and learn to stop and smell the roses. Life is too short.
One way I started to do this today: In the morning, I didn’t let myself get out of bed before I mentally listed 25 things I’m grateful for and 25 things I’m looking forward to in my life. C’mon – it sounds like a lot, but really, it takes less time than hitting the snooze button, and it is so much more rewarding. I woke up feeling content, centered, positive, loving, and excited – even before the day began.
Also, one final note: Yes, we are working on the vitamin CE serum. I wish it wasn’t taking so long, but we want to get it exactly right. Just a hint: It’s worth waiting for!
- Palacinka Beauty Blog reveals her drugstore pick of the week, Olay Simply Refresh Body Wash
- Beauty 411 has the scoop on the Special Edition October Birchbox
- The Makeup Divas have the 9 best natural deodorants
- Sugar Shock Beauty has the 10 most expensive celebrity engagement rings (not exactly beauty, but certainly interesting!)
- Viva Woman asks, Do your beauty products shield against UVA1, UVA2, and UVB?
Founder and CEO Nicki Zevola started FutureDerm as a medical (M.D.) student studying to be a dermatologist. She is an award-winning scientific researcher and writer. She currently is concentrating on FutureDerm and developing FutureDerm's one-of-a-kind products. She can be found on Google+ and Twitter.View all Nicki Zevola posts.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- Hydroxy Acids Part II: The Differences between Glycolic Acid, Salicyclic Acid, Lipohydroxy Acid, and Gluconolactone
- Are Inorganic Sunscreens Better Than Organic Ones? Part V: Conclusion and Product Recommendations
- 3 Reasons Why Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar Destroy Your Hair – And What to Use Instead
- 3 Lies the Natural Product Industry is Feeding You (and the Underlying Truth)
- Follow Friday+Nicki’s Personal Updates: 5 Secrets for Lasting Friendship
- How to Get Rid of Acne: 6 Treatments You Haven’t Tried!
- Spotlight On: Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide and Nicotinic Acid)
- Hydroxy Acids Part I: What are Hydroxy Acids?
- Lancome Tonique Confort Rehydrating Toner Review
- Does the Oil Cleansing Method Work?
Subscribe & Save
Subscribe to our RSS Feed