Follow Friday + Nicki's Personal Updates: Week of January 11, 2013

With fellow beauty bloggers Lisa and Courtney in NYC; I'm on the far right.
  "Take good care of your body. It's the only place you have to live." -Jim Rohn

Let's be honest here.  I'm a pretty healthy person:  I run 3-4 miles a day, 5-6 days per week.  I drink fresh-brewed tea.  Recently I started adding a full cup of vegetables to lunch and dinner. But for the past two years or so, I haven't felt great.  Don't get me wrong - I love my life, and I try to make the most of every day.  But I've gotten sick pretty easily, I could sleep through blaring alarm clocks, and I was always hungry, thirsty, or tired.  Sometimes I would also feel sad for no reason, and not really understand why.  Not depressed, but a bit despondent. Then I started to gain weight.  Five pounds at first, then ten.  "Don't worry," my mother would say, "it's just water weight."  But once it turned into twenty-five pounds, and after diet after diet failed, I started to panic.  (All of this was in less than a year, mind you). The final straw was when I gained eight pounds in a single week.  (Eating and exercising normally, might I add).  I turned to my doctor, who found that I had a thyroid disorder. Typically with hypothyroidism, you will have elevated TSH levels.  It is the diagnostic sign, but my TSH levels were normal.  Yet my physician had to do some impressive investigative work for the diagnosis:  I had antibodies that were abnormal.  The antiperoxidase test is not standard procedure, and many insurance companies won't cover it when your TSH levels are normal.  But my physician's nagging suspicion that I could have abnormal antibodies finally lead to a diagnosis, and then treatment. So why am I telling everyone my health history?  I don't mean to partake in self-indulgent narcissism (this is not that kind of a blog, c'mon!).  My reason is this:  In our fast-paced, high-pressure society, you need to slow down and listen to your body.  I'll even go a step further and say don't ignore your body.  Eat a little less and a lot better.  Study nutrition and put those ideals into practice.  Exercise more.  Get more sleep.  And if you're still not feeling better, see a physician you trust ASAP.  It sounds so trite and obvious but it's true:  If you're less than 100%, you can't give 100%. Since starting thyroid treatment, I feel better.  I sleep less, am far less hungry, and have tons more energy.  It's like I've taken ten years off of my age.  I've lost ten pounds and I feel amazing physically.  So please, if you aren't feeling 100%, take care of it ASAP.  You deserve it. *******

Date: January 11 2013 at 12:17 PM
Uncategorized

1. Leah
    January 11 2013 at 2:07 PM

Hi Nicki! The same thing recently happened to a close friend. I've had my TSH levels monitored for a while now because my mom has hypothyroidism but I'm always amazed at how many young women have no idea that this could be an issue. The sad thing is that it also affects your ability to get pregnant so some women don't know this is an issue until they have trouble conceiving. Thanks for helping to spread the word and hopefully more young women can catch this at an early stage!

2. Eileen
    January 11 2013 at 2:55 PM

Hi Nicki, I had a very similar experience. My first round of tests indicated that my thyroid was within the normal range. My worsening symptoms; however, were screaming that there was something seriously wrong. I persisted which led my doctor to persist and, sure enough, additional tests revealed a thyroid condition that was anything but normal. Once I began daily medication, my symptoms resolved and my over-all health improved dramatically. Good luck to you, Nicki.

3. Lucas
    January 12 2013 at 4:32 AM

Hi, Nicki, I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism after having many of your symptoms, except instead of gainning weight I was lossing weight and was unable to build body mass. I've been on medication for a few months, but I still don't sleep very well. Any tips on that?? I found this blog very interesting: www.stopthethyroidmadness.com It's surprising how TSH is still the main test to identify thyroid disorders when it doesn't always show how your thyroid is doing. Best, Lucas.

4. Eileen
    January 12 2013 at 10:22 AM

Hi Lucas, For a natural remedy, have you tried melatonin taken about 30 minutes before bedtime? Also, step away from the computer and TV about the same time. They're both very stimulating.

5. Lucas
    January 13 2013 at 6:18 AM

Hi, Eileen, Thank you for the kind suggestions. I've been staying away from tv/computer for at least an hour before going to bed. It has helped, but not that much. I also thought about taking melatonin, but I was afraid over time it could mess up my hormonal system or cause some kind of dependency, so I haven't tried it yet. Maybe I should discuss that with my doctor. Thanks again.