Greetings, FutureDerm readers! I receive several dozen press releases each week, and I thought I would share some of the more interesting stories with you daily via a blog post. Please note that the reviews and opinions contained within the news posts on FutureDerm.com are not necessarily the opinions of our writers, editors, or myself, but rather from press releases. Still interesting and captivating info though!
Let me know what you think of this new feature — if it is popular, we will keep it!
As always, feel free to contact me at nicki[at]futurederm[dot]com directly anytime!
All the best,
Interview with Dr. Halland on the Vampire Facial
PRP is rich in platelets and growth factors, where the levels can be 3 – 7 times higher than normal blood concentration. These cell signals help stimulate stem cells, and trigger the growth of collagen, as well as blood vessels that deliver oxygen to bodily tissues.
2.) Are there research studies to validate it? If yes, can you send them to me or links?
PRP has been used in medicine for many years, especially in cosmetics. Research evidence suggests that PRP combined with cosmetic techniques (via injection, micro-needling, fillers, etc) can stimulate the wound- healing process, and new collagen formation via the stimulation of growth factor synthesis. There are several studies out there that address skin rejuvenation with the use of PRP.
Combined Use of Skin Needling and Platelet-Rich Plasma in Acne Scarring Treatment
Can Platelet-rich Plasma Be Used for Skin Rejuvenation? Evaluation of Effects of Platelet-rich Plasma on Human Dermal Fibroblast
3.) How much does it cost?
$600/session: Micro-needling + PRP, or a Package of 3 Sessions for $1500 total.
4.) How long do effects last?
Effective for 9 – 18 months.
5.) Who is the ideal candidate?
Most adults with signs of aging are good candidates, especially fine lines and wrinkles. It is also ideal for patients who want to improve their skin complexion and texture. This is particularly helpful for individuals with fine scarring from acne, for example.
6.) Who should NOT have this procedure?
Individuals with platelet dysfunction syndromes, thrombocytopenia, or other bleeding disorders. Patients on anti-coagulant therapy are also not suitable candidates.
7.) Does it hurt?
Some patients may experience some discomfort, however, by applying a topical numbing cream prior to the procedure, it is very well tolerated. It can often be described as feeling similar to dermabrasion or acupuncture.
8.) Are there health risks?
PRP facial injections are minimally invasive and safe. Since the PRP is derived from one’s own blood there are virtually no side effects or allergic reactions. After a Vampire Facial there can be some slight swelling and tenderness for 1 to 2 days.
9.) Should you get the procedure again after the first one’s effects wear off?
The best results are seen with a total of 2-3 treatments given about 1 month apart. After the initial treatment series, maintenance injections can be given once or twice a year, depending on the desired level of skin rejuvenation wanted by the patient.
10.) What are the benefits?
PRP facials have regenerative effects on the skin, slowing or reversing the signs of aging. While it may not replace a facelift, it offers a natural and more gradual way to help tighten the skin and build collagen to improve skin texture and color. It is effective for fine lines, helps with acne scarring and can improve one’s complexion after a treatment course.
How to Look Years Younger without Going under the Knife
EDGEWATER, Maryland – (July 21, 2014) – As people age, they are often looking for the fountain of youth. If there is a way to turn back the clock, even a few years, most people are interested in learning more about it. In fact, The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery reports that there are over 10 million cosmetic surgery procedures each year in America. For those who would like to look younger, but don’t want to go under the knife, there are options available.
“There are procedures for every person’s comfort level,” explains Dr. Sanjiv Saini of MD Dermatology, with locations in Edgewater and Lexington Park, Maryland. “Whether you want something minimally invasive, such as precision neck contouring, or you want something more like a chemical peel, there’s something for everyone.”
There are numerous options that people can choose from in order to look younger, as well as get a boost in their confidence. Here are a few ways to look years younger without going under the knife:
- Consider non-surgical procedures. There are several non-surgical treatment options that people can choose from to help turn back the clock. Consider such options as injections (e.g., Botox, Juvederm, Radisse), which is something that 3.7 million people per year opt for. Additional options include microdermabrasion and laser treatments. These treatments can help minimize wrinkles, aging spots, and more.
- Get moving. Maintaining a regular exercise plan is important to help slow the aging process. Be sure to do both cardio and weight-bearing exercises throughout the week to maximize the benefits. Staying active also helps with balance, endurance, and strength. Additionally, add something to your routine that reduces stress, such as tai chi or yoga.
- Eat your veggies. Fruits and vegetables are loaded with antioxidants, which help to keep your body healthy and aging better. Load up on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and be sure to get plenty of water.
- Get plenty of rest. Getting poor sleep or not getting enough sleep is associated with a poorer quality of life, according to the National Institutes of Health. Adults of all ages need to have seven to nine hours of sleep per night.
- Watch the sun exposure. Sun exposure in small amounts is needed for the body to make vitamin D, but more than that and you are risking skin cancer. Those who spend a lot of time in the sun are at risk for it prematurely aging their skin. Take precautions when going out into the sun, such as wearing a hat, sunscreen, seeking shade, etc.
“Even small measures to turn back the aging can have great results,” added Dr. Saini. “Combine a few of these options and you will feel and look years younger. The options are available for those who want to look younger.”
MD Dermatology offers a full line of clinical dermatology procedures including precision neck contouring, laser services, injection services, microdermabrasion, chemical peels, and more. They are a medically directed spa that offers a wide range of services to meet the unique needs of every patient. For additional information, visit their site at: www.mddermatology.com.
About MD Dermatology
With locations in Edgewater and Lexington Park, Maryland, MD Dermatology is a full-service medically directed spa. The medical spa is owned by Dr. Sanjiv Saini, a board-certified dermatologist who has also taught at Howard University and is the coordinating dermatologist for the Washington Nationals baseball team. MD Dermatology offers a full array of services, including precision neck contouring, chemical peels, microdermabrasion, and more. For additional information, visit their site at: www.mddermatology.com.