The VOLOOM is a heat styling tool designed to add lasting volume to one’s hair. It works by adding texture and structure to the under layers of the hair with its unique patented checkerboard plates. This lifts the top layers of hair up and away from the scalp creating the illusion of more volume. The level of volume is also customizable. For a more subtle change in your look, use the device on just a single layer of hair around the head. For a more dramatic effect, use the device on multiple layers. More layers = more volume!
I have very long, heavy hair and often desire more volume and fullness in my hairstyle. So I was very excited to give the VOLOOM a try. Here’s a look at my experience:
How to Use
1. Begin with dry hair in your usual hairstyle. Part your hair normally.
2. Section off a top layer of hair about 1/2 inch down from the part and clip it of to the side (clips are included, btw!) This layer of your hair will stay smooth and untreated.
3. Section off another layer of hair underneath the upper, smooth layer.
4. Hold this under layer out from your head and clamp the VOLOOM down onto the hair near the scalp one second or less and release. Repeat this two or three times down the section of hair.
5. For more volume, add another layer. Section off another layer of hair directly under the one just treated and repeat the process.
6. Unclip hair and repeat the entire process on the other side of the head.
And in the back.
Here the final product:
As you can see, the VOLOOM added a very subtle amount of volume, even with two layers treated. I like the subtle, natural look, but if you’re looking to add a significant amount of volume to your hair, I’d suggest treating three or four layers.